PDA

View Full Version : A4 2.4SE Auto reverse and brake problems

bwfcboy
18-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi,
I have an Audi A4 2.4 SE Auto with 140K on the clock. 2001 X plate
It has developed a series of strange faults that I`m guessing are connected but my knowledge of automatic cars is ziltch. (my knowledge of manual cars isnt brilliant either!!)

First, when the engine is at running temperature and when I`m not moving theres a burning rubber smell. I thought this was due to an oil leak dripping on the exhaust but I had that fixed and the smell is still there. This has been there for a good few months now.

Second, I put the car in reverse this evening and it really struggled to engage the gear, like as if the clutch was gone on a manual gearbox.

Third (and most worrying) at the same time as the reversing fault appeared the brakes (which have squeaked for months) have now started making a funny groanning noise. this is most noticeable when I stop from a speed of about 10-15mph. the brake peddle seems a but spongy and theres a funny clicking noise when I release the brake pedal. It reminds me of the noise I used to get on my old fiesta when the plastic clutch quadrant was worn or knackered but nowhere near as loud.

im going to the garage tommorrow but 2 questions spring to mind

1) would anyone have an idea what the likely problem may be before I get my hat nailed on by `billys autos`

2) will I die in a fatal car crash on the way to the garage due to major brake failure?

lonky
19-12-2007, 08:19 PM
seeing as I've never totally got rid of the oil leak on my 2.4, it could be you still have one.

Did you get the suction pump changed or just the rocker cover gaskets ?

The brake fault sounds like no rear pads / a siezed caliper. Maybe the handbrake mechanism.

If you are in the AA, you can always ask them to check it provided you ring from where you are covered. They will either tell you it's safe to drive or take you to a garage to get it fixed.

bwfcboy
19-12-2007, 10:07 PM
thank you for the response.
i have been to 2 garages today and both had a look and then said that they thought it was related to the gearbox because of the reversing problem but i spoke to a friend of a friend on the phone who said that he thought it sounded like something warped, cracked or broken in the brakes somewhere and the reversing issue is probably because the brakes are holding the car back in reverse. that all seems to make sense so i will look at it tommorrow.

1 simple question from a simple person....

if i slip the car into neutral when its moving then apply the brakes then it is still making this dreadful knocking noise. my logic says if the car is in neutral then the gearbox is eliminated? too simplistic?

lonky
20-12-2007, 12:34 AM
There is definatly no harm in trying putting it on a slope in neutral, and rolling backwards.

The majority of the drive chain would then not be functioning.

It's because of the reverse issue, that I would particularly look at the rear brakes and the hand brake.

There are many options other than the gearbox that could be the cause, however most would be obvious to an average DIY mechanic with the wheels off spinning each hub in turn.

Will wait with interest to see how you get on

bwfcboy
23-12-2007, 01:23 PM
an update for anyone browsing this thread.....

still not fully got to the bottom of the entire problem but definately the knocking sound on the brakes is caused by the ABS system for definate.

The ABS warning light came on yesterday which indicates the ABS has stopped working and hey presto the problem is gone!
If I then turn the engine off and restart the car so the ABS is working again then the fault re-appears. I still can`t be certain this is causing the reversing problem, I guess that will only become apparent once the ABS is fixed.

Interestingly, I have had awfully squeaky brakes on this car since day 1 and when the ABS is disabled the squeaking is gone as well.

bwfcboy
02-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Problem was down to an incorrectly positioned ABS sensor on ther front left wheel. The housing was bent out of place and giving a false reading.
It was simply a case of bending back into position.

This hasn`t solved the problem of the reversing so that seems to be a seperate fault!