PDA

View Full Version : A6 Fuel Leak

rtdc
18-12-2007, 10:00 AM
I have a 1995 A6 2.8 Quattro saloon and the return fuel pipe is leaking near the back wheel, I say leaking more like p***ing out now. The car stinks of petrol and leaves puddles everywhere. So I went to Audi to price up the parts and they were very helpful and gave me the part number and put the car on the ramp to have a look, this is where my heart really sank like the Titanic.

To replace the pipes is a set costing £142 but that doesn’t include the main high pressure feed from the tank to the pipes which will also need changing as it will break when the locking nut is undone (all rusted up). Then to get the pipes on and off involves: -

Removing the brake servo unit
Dropping part of the front sub frame
Removing a cross member
Removing the fuel tank

At least a days work at a reduced rate of £70 an hour. My local garage will do it for £25 an hour but even at that price it’s too much.

What would be nice to do is to cut out the rusty pipes (do the charcoal filter pipe too) and replace them with hose but and its the big but the high pressure hose is rusty too and though not leaking at the moment may well crack and start leaking when the others are disturbed. As you can’t just replace that with hose it will effectively right the car off something I don’t want to do.

Has anyone had a similar problem and solved it?
Has anyone ever replaced the high-pressure main fuel line?
Anyone got any brilliant solutions?

I haven’t had the car long (2 weeks) and I do like it and although not a perfect example it is very clean and everything works, I would really like to save it not only from the money point of view but I would like to use it.
:1zhelp:

kenney
18-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi Most cars nowadays have plastic pipes as fuel lines.There is no problem replacing the steel pipes with plastic, i have done this many times, the plastic pipes you can buy by the meter. But not were you have a pressure higher than 5-6 bar.

rtdc
18-12-2007, 02:39 PM
For replacing the non-pressurised pipe plastic pipe or hose will be fine its the high pressure one that worries me. Demon tweaks can supply lengths of high-pressure fuel line so I am wondering if the high pressure line could be cut and a new piece spliced in.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers.

kenney
18-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi Yes no problem there is not that high a pressure.