PDA

View Full Version : messy box

17-12-2007, 11:47 PM
i have the 2.0l 16v abf engine in my golf and still trying to find the 147 ponies , i would like some advice it has the 02A (CDA) gear box and it is starting to feel a little sloppy i have read that this is a weak piont on this car and does need to treated with some kid gloves it is not in need of a new clutch as this was done 20 thousand miles ago
if it is a worstcase senario and it is on its way out what sort of damage to the wallet could i brace myself for (sofa at the ready)
or do you have some suggestions to tighten it up i have replaced the gearbox oil and this has made a bit of a difference.
i understand no adjustment can be made to the selector or gear change lever as this is very precise am i correct?
cheers for your time
merry christmas

Crasher
17-12-2007, 11:56 PM
The selector unit needs to be removed and rebuilt, a very common problem. You need the following parts,

1) Lever 1H0 711 202 A £16.04
2) Driver 1J0 711 256 £9.78
3) Lever 1H0 711 051 B £8.35
4) Bolt 357 711 234 £7.96

All that is required to set it up is a long 8-mm drill bit which goes through the horizontal lever into the box and a little time just setting up the two adjustments on the selector to get the gear lever inside the car sitting centrally. It is easy to do; the hardest part is getting the selector unit to come out of the box after removing the two bolts.

18-12-2007, 07:18 AM
thankyou crasher
will have shot myself,parts department at white rose dealership will get a vist this week
sticky:beerchug:

27-12-2007, 09:56 PM
if that was easy i am mistaken as i had a right fight on my hands with with selector lever bolt ,what a pig have you ever sweated on a cold winters day, if not have a go at this bad boy ,may be i had it wrong?????
good to burn off the crimbo alchohol
sorted thought
and A1 better
thanks for the advise
and part numbers
:zx11: sticky

Crasher
27-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Which bolt gave you trouble?

29-12-2007, 02:41 PM
tried to take a photo and upload to show you but not working with photo bucket as my descriptive powers are pants i found this very helpful as well
http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/aol/imageDetails?invocationType=imageDetails&query=vw+gear+selector&img=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alldata.com%2Fservice_provide r%2Ftechrx%2Fimages%2Fvwshifter001.gif&site=&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alldata.com%2Fservice_provid er%2Ftechrx%2F2000%2F20000615.html&width=111&height=89&thumbUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fimages-partners.google.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AV0J9LztFu _yr1M%3Awww.alldata.com%2Fservice_provider%2Ftechr x%2Fimages%2Fvwshifter001.gif&b=image%3FinvocationType%3Dtopsearchbox.image%26qu ery%3Dvw%2Bgear%2Bselector
it was nut B and C on there diagram
regards

Crasher
29-12-2007, 10:38 PM
That's the easy bit, why did they give you trouble?

30-12-2007, 11:28 AM
good old fashioned rust me thinks and not enough weetabix or porridge
thats the easy bit !!!
i thought you would say that as a man of your knowledge
me just a chef with a bag of spanners and how does that work then type brain
just a quick one have you ever built an ABF TURBO conversion as i have read some wild claims of power are they true 320 to 450 bhp would it take that kind of power and what about the gearbox
hope you have time to answer
sticky:biglaugh:

Crasher
30-12-2007, 01:54 PM
I would not convert an ABF to a turbo, it can be done with off the shelf parts but is very involved and expensive. Just bolting on a manifold and turbo isn't that difficult but lowering the compression correctly means fitting lower compression pistons (WÖSSNER make some ideal pieces) and so it makes far more sense to go for a 1.8T conversion. Of all the Golf 2 and Golf 3 models the Golf 3 2.0 16v with the ABF engine is the most suitable candidate. The engine bolts straight to the box and depending on the engine used, almost straight into the car, the 225PS engine being the easiest to fit. The 02J box in the Golf 3 16v can take 250PS without failing in a short period and the 6 speed box from a Leon Cupra R will fit. In fact, the Leon Cupra R is the ideal donor car for the conversion.

30-12-2007, 02:52 PM
thanks for your reply i have seen the pistons ,conrods and headgasket for this build you have mentioned on the BILDON website (yes pricey) and turbo kit on the BAHN BRENNER site (yes expensive) MEGASQUIRT for ecu and bits and bobs.
lot of money just for parts let alone ,build i certainly would not be able to do it myself BAHNBRENNER have a turbod jetta ABF on there very nice video on youtube of it.
so best get saving then as do love my mk3 and still in good nick for 13 years old
car
maybe when i am all growded up the wife might let me play
cheers for your time :aargh4:just had to ask someone who knows

sticky back to reality you silly daydreamer slap!!! slap!!! slap!!!!