PDA

View Full Version : H Reg VW Scirocco With BIZARRE Starting Problems? Help!

deejayc
17-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Hello! First post for me. There seems to be a lot of very knowledgable people on here, so I wanted to ask about a bizarre series of problems I'm having with my H reg Scirocco. Firstly, I have an immobiliser which is a two pinned semi-circular fob thing, which I have to stick into the plug on the dash. This plug has a single red flashing LED above it.

Simply put, occasionally (3 times in the last 3 weeks), I have completely nothing when I turn the key. I get the battery light come on, the oil light and the temp sensor light flash and weirdly the handbrake light comes on even if the handbrake is off and then when I twist the key to go - zip. I get a series of clicks from the fuse box area (which is normal when she starts anyway) All the lights go out and then I get absolutely nothing from that point on. No dashboard lights, no immobliser. If I leave her for a while, the handbrake will come back on and the immobliser will start to flash again and I can try again - often getting nothing again. This cycle can continue ad infinitum. I have disconnected the battery to help and checked the connection to the starter motor, but all seems fine. I even followed 'crasher's' advice on a similiar problem of connecting a jump lead to the starter motor directly from the batt. Nothing.

This problem has normally fixed itself weirdly. The problems started about a month ago when I had an ignition problem fixed at an auto-sparks. I plan to take it back there, but I don't want to go shooting my mouth off blaming them when it could be something entirely different. Help appreciated.

Chris

deejayc
19-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I got this problem fixed and I wanted to report what the problem was to help others.

Long story short, it was the earth-lead. So if you have the problems above, check the lead first.

Cost me £270 to find and fix it at an auto-sparks. You can save £250 of that :)

deejayc
20-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Ok, new problem now.

No heater. It blows, but it only blows cold air. No heat at all.

Anyone with any suggestions?

I'm also getting a screaming banshee noise from directly behind the console/dashboard area at exactly 40mph and above??? Are these related?

Chris

Phat_vento
17-01-2008, 07:46 PM
nah not related, sounds like you heater matrix is blocked hence no warm air try flushing your coolant system, or could be a thermostat when my stat went in my rover it stopped the heaters from gettin hot, about the banshee noises not a clue possibly your blower unit bearing are on the way out, locate it n have a listen hope this helps!!