PDA

View Full Version : Time for a New Turbo

barnardo
17-12-2007, 07:24 PM
hi all, a friend of mine has a '04 1.9 Golf Tdi, and it needs a new turbo. He's got a quote from VW for £2500. But i've managed to find a recon turbo for £300.

I was just wondering if anyone new the job time for replacing the turbo? also is it a bit of a pig to do, or not to bad?

Thanks for any help in advance!

derek_g2001
17-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi,
Latest Autodata book time is 2.5 hrs to remove and replace.
Obviously that is time in a workshop, with lift/pit etc.
Adjust accordingly if crawling about the drive etc!

Done one recently on my sharan, no major issues, best accessed from below for all except one or two bolts. I would imagine it would be the same, apart from you having a little less room.

Simple enough job as long as you don't break any studs etc...

barnardo
17-12-2007, 09:10 PM
cheers mate thats brilliant, don't suppose theres any chance you'd be able to scan the job times and email them to me.

a big ask i know, i'll leave you some rep.

my email address is o.barnard@hotmail.co.uk

thanks either way

derek_g2001
18-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Sorry, if you mean all times for all jobs there is no practical way I can do it.

The times are on the computer, and it won't let me copy and paste.

The only way to do it would be to make up a job card with every possible job, as if I am doing an invoice, print it, scan it, then email it, and that would take far too long.

If you need anything else, post up and I will get back to you first chance I get.

barnardo
19-12-2007, 09:45 AM
hi, thanks anyway mate. vw have agreed to pay the full cost now. cheers for the info.

onzarob
19-12-2007, 10:24 AM
£2500 for a new turbo, I would want a new engine for that with a car attached:biglaugh:

How do they justify quoting that is beyond me:aargh4:

barnardo
19-12-2007, 10:54 AM
i know, it came out as £1000 for the turbo and £1500 for fitting & vat.

after derekg said it was only a 2.5 hour job i spoke to a friend and he confirmed this aswell, but vw were adamanet it was going to be nearly 2 days labour.

onzarob
19-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I would complain to VW and see what happens, if they are going to charge that, can you be sure that the turbo is faulty?

barnardo
19-12-2007, 11:30 AM
well seeing as though they're gonna pay for for everything he's just gonna let them get on with it.

the only thing was that they can't do it until after christmas now though, but on the upside they're paying for a hire car (brand new golf tdi) for him until it's all done

t5psr
23-12-2007, 11:08 PM
I presume your tdi was out of warranty ? what was the mileage ? my brothers 04 plate 2.0 gttdi turbo is failing how did you manage to get vw to pay ?? any help/advice greatly apprieciated,
thanks phil :1zhelp:

barnardo
24-12-2007, 01:11 PM
hi mate, it had done about 40k. It was out of the 3 year manufactures waranty, but it had a 1 year VW extended warranty when he bought it 3 months ago. But that warrenty only covered upto £1000.

The first vw garage he went to told him he had to pay for anything over £1000, but he then aske3d a different VW garage and they said they would pay the extra as it should really go as this age/mileage.

hope that help.

t5psr
25-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the reply, will try our luck No way that should fail at that mileage. Trying to locate other people who have had the same issue but not finding alot so maybe it's not a common fault, I was told by a mechanic friend that he had heard that vag group had quite a few knackered engines quoting catostropic engine failure throughout the group, as advised us to buy the 1.9tdi trouble is we was on the way to collect it when we spoke!!!!!! typical