PDA

View Full Version : Scirocco GT problem

alexszeremeta
17-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Was kindly given a 1989 Scirocco GT by a friend. Got her through the MOT and all was fine. Now I've developed a strange problem, which is as follows:

- Car starts up fine, Idles no problem.
- If in neutral the car is reved past 2,000 rpm (it *seems* to misfire) and looses power back down to 0 rpm if the accelerator is kept at the same position. Releasing the accelerator returns the car back to idle.
- The only way to drive the car is by flooring the accelerator, which seems to get past the huge flat spot past 2,000 rpm.

Does anyone have any idea's?

its been suggested that a flap on the air intake might not be functioning correctly. But I'm not so sure, could it be HT leads?

Crasher
17-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Someone was trying to suggest it is suffering from carburettor icing which is extremely common on these engines at this time of year. However, that doesn’t sound like carb icing to me as this manifests itself as you are driving, it is fuel starvation (which is what carb icing causes) due to another problem such as a blocked fuel tank pick up, fuel filter, fuel pump problem (unlikely if it is the original Pierburg unit) or most likely, an internal problem with the Pierburg carburettor if that is what it still has fitted. Take off the filter cap and use a torch to inspect the inside of the filler neck to see if it is corroded.

alexszeremeta
17-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for your quick reply, Crasher!!

Recently I fitted a new inlet gasket, to the carb. As the old one was cracked.

You inspired me to get my hands oily at lunch! I just double checked for corrosion it looked fine. Also made sure the four securing nuts were tight. They gave a half turn of tightening but still no progress on the original problem.

Crasher
17-12-2007, 04:33 PM
By you saying
Also made sure the four securing nuts were tight
I gather this is a Weber carburettor. These are conversions and not original but are better than the Pierburg. I think you should take off the top of the carb and see what the fuel level is and if there is any debris in the float camber.

Alex25
02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Might be the float in the carb

Crasher
02-08-2008, 01:25 PM
That was eight months ago and he didn’t reply to my post.