PDA

View Full Version : Golf mk3 CL TDi `95 cold start problem

saxman
16-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi I`m a newbie! I`ve been given the above car, which has been standing for c.18mths. It`s had new glow plugs but is still reluctant to start when cold.(Starts fine afterwards) The engine turns over & fires but if you release the key when you think it`s fired, it dies. Some very judicious footwork on the accellerator pedal & not releasing the key until long after you think you should have, generally gets results (together with clouds of grey smoke!)When it does fire you have to keep the gas pedal exactly where it is until the engine settles down, when you can then increase revs. If you do this before it settles down, it coughs & dies. It can be very jumpy (i.e. kangaroo deisel syndrome!) as you drive off down the road, but this is not consistent. The only other thing I`ve noticed is air bubbles in the fuel line from filter to pump-if you press down on the white plastic t piece on top of filter the bubbles stop; the filter`s non genuine & there`s no gasket/washer/o ring between t piece & filter should there be? Injectors have been cleaned & MOT man said emissions were really low. Prior to cleaning when you revved engine to 4000+ rpm got horrendous black smoke (& oily patch on drive!) I`ve run about .25 tank of fresh fuel through the system( with "dry fuel" added) since I`ve got the car back on the road. My wife won`t drive the car until this is sorted so you can see an urgent & preferably inexpensive solution is required! Sorry to witter on so, but trying to cover all possibilities in 1 go. Thanks