PDA

View Full Version : MK2 1.8 Loss of power

bishbosh66
14-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi, help needed to cure loss of power problem with my 1988 1.8 mk2 (unsure of engine code). Car will start and drive with no problems for approx 20-30 miles, after which it will sometimes suffer a lack of power and coast to a stop, I can restart the car after a short period, and it will carry on as normal. Work done so far, new weber conversion, new ht leads, fuel filter, plugs, rotor arm, dist. cap, fuel lines, fuel pump, exhaust manifold and gasket. Fuel lines blown through. When car plays up, there is a strong petrol smell, like it is not burning the fuel, so I am leaning towards some sort of igintion problem. When misfiring the exhuast has black sooty deposits. Before I go any further , can anybody give some words of advice? TUVM.

Diamond Hell
19-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Check the earth connections from the motor to the battery - I went right through the ignition system on my GU carb motor before it was tracked to a bad earth.

Are you running the standard airbox with the Weber? If not put it back on as the symptons you are describing could well be carb-icing.

bishbosh66
01-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for that, I will check the earth in the morning, after my new years hangover has finally disappeared! Managed to get a good deal on a new dizzy (£25-after supplier messed my wife about when she went to pick up the new one, and handed her off with a dizzy cap, not the whole item! Women power, long may if thrive!). Hopefully between the two it will cure the problem, if not I will be back soon !!!!

bishbosh66
01-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Forgot to add that it is the standard airbox, however the warm air/cold air flap is rusted and broken, also it is missing the pipework that goes with it. I was going to hold the flap half open with some sort of jury rigged item, would this be a good idea or should I attempt a trawl of local scrappies to source a working replacement (I live in Denmark, and Golfs are v.popular so old good parts are at a premium)

Diamond Hell
01-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Haha, if you're in Denmark then if I were you I'd definitely rock on down to a scrapper and get that system rigged back up. £10 says it's colder there than here and people without the various hoses in the UK have had issues over the past couple of cold weeks!

bishbosh66
05-01-2008, 11:41 AM
New dizzy arrived yesterday (courier drivers have winter tyres fitted !) Fitted, timed and now driving well (until the next thing goes wrong), makeshift hose will be fitted over weekend, until I can track down a correct replacement. Thankfully heater is working great so only remains to fix leaks to prevent inside of windscreen from freezing over when I am in work ! Have a good weekend:D