PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack

djemmo
14-12-2007, 07:03 AM
How do I change the steering rack on a mk 3 GTI?

14-12-2007, 08:23 PM
whoa!!!!!! no offence mate but if anyone typed out what you need to do they have a lot of time on there hands as quite a timely job not wishing to offend but may i suggest you go on the HAYNES website and look for book no 3097 and order it as if you are prepared to do yourself and have the know how this would prove invalauble tool too all your problems that may arise from this job
not knocking you but it aint an easy job for a home mechanic with out the right toys and know how

djemmo
14-12-2007, 08:49 PM
ft its as difficult as you say - does anyone want to buy a good mk3 gti in need of a steering rack- as I am not prepared tp pay what the garages want in payment.

15-12-2007, 09:10 AM
why dont you have a go yourself and get your hands on a recon rack they are about £175 ,i presume its power assisited in exchange for your old one your car may be off the road for a little longer than expected but at least you will keep your GTI you will need a book as you will need all the torque settins and a few parts must be replaced for new when refitting i reconed my cylinder head myself saved a fortune and it did not cost me that much just a bit of time ,first time i have ever done one as well.
never say never ,have a go
GOOD LUCK