PDA

View Full Version : gearbox trouble.

tatty0001
13-12-2007, 04:28 PM
hi,last nite after work i was reversing and i think the gearbox went. there was a knocking and then kaput the car started t roll forward.
im pretty sure its not the clutch as it still feels like it is tryin to bite now wen i try..
wen i start the car now there is still a loud knocking from the gearbox.

if any1 can shed any light whether it might be something simple or if the gearbox is shot would be great.

oh the car is a 1.8 20v a4,1995.

thanks

Pauloz
16-12-2007, 11:57 PM
hi,last nite after work i was reversing and i think the gearbox went. there was a knocking and then kaput the car started t roll forward.
im pretty sure its not the clutch as it still feels like it is tryin to bite now wen i try..
wen i start the car now there is still a loud knocking from the gearbox.

if any1 can shed any light whether it might be something simple or if the gearbox is shot would be great.

oh the car is a 1.8 20v a4,1995.

thanks
If the noise goes when you depress the clutch, its the gearbox not the clutch, as by doing this youre isolating the gearbox.
If the noise is there all the time, could be several things. There is a dual mass flywheel on your car for one, and if thats given up completely it could fit your description. Likely you will have had some warning though with previous noise or clutch issues.

audimad
17-12-2007, 01:26 AM
If the car was clicking when cornering before that, its probably a dead CV joint

tatty0001
17-12-2007, 02:03 AM
if it was a dead cv joint the car would still drive wouldnt it.

audimad
17-12-2007, 01:08 PM
No,all the drive would go to the faulty one,just spinnig the shaft,but not driving the wheel

Take a look,or rather get someone to see if anything is moving underneath when the clutch is released,that would at least rule that out.The gearbox's are preety solid,so unless you had prior problems,its unlikly that blew up

tatty0001
17-12-2007, 04:38 PM
but would the car not stall when i put it into gear and released the clutch, thats what i meant.

thanks for the info.

tatty0001
17-12-2007, 06:19 PM
just looked under the car and the shaft that goes to the cv joint is just spinning, so does that mean its just the cv joint or could there be other stuff that has gone along with it. it was making a loud noise from the front of the engine bay which is still there,but am unsure if this has anything to do with the driveshaft or gearbox etc.

thanks for allthe help guys, u might have just saved the audi from the dead.

audimad
17-12-2007, 10:31 PM
The CV joint has gone, around £30 from ebay as a kit, 4 /10 for a diy repair IMO