PDA

View Full Version : Help - Clicking noise from front wheels

adstalker
13-12-2007, 02:29 PM
On the way to work this morning, I stopped off at my local Tesco to get a few things. The car park was very frosty and slippery.

As I pulled left from the service road towards the parking bays, I got a clicking noise from the nearside front wheel. Once I straightened up the clicking noise stopped.

This is the first time that this has happened. Is it just the ESP kicking in because of loss of traction to that wheel, or is it something more serious.

All help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Anthony

amar
04-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi

Did you get any joy with fixing the 'clicking noise' my wifes Mk5 1.6 has just started to show the same symptoms. I was told it may be the Gearbox and it may need to be replaced!!!! i really hope this is not the case

Wazza_G
04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Not a stone chip or nail in the tread by any chance as that can give the clicking noise.

vwmatt
04-03-2008, 11:43 PM
sounds like the cv gator may of split and you may have got some grit in the left over grease in the CV joint.
If your 'Lucky' it may be repairable by getting the cv joint cleaned up thoroughly ,regreased, and new boot.

amar
05-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks vwmatt i'll check that out, i jacked up the car and as you move the wheel ever so slightly you can start to here the noise? could that be the CV Joint?

Wazza_G: thats what i thought it could be until it was shattered when i lifted the car and the noise was still there:mad:

elPaulio
05-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Hey Amar,

Yeah, that could be it, CV joints are usually heard at their worst when the wheel are turned, i.e. not in the straight ahead position! You'd be looking for a noise around where the driveshaft meets the wheel hub.

Paul

amar
05-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks Paul

I think the noise is closer to where the drive shaft goes into the Gearbox, its really difficult to locate the noise but i think that would describe it best. The noise is there even when the wheels are straight and it doesnt get any better or worse when you turn the wheel.

Thanks Mate

Amar

adstalker
05-03-2008, 10:35 PM
I only get the clicking noise when turning left out of a junction under harsh acceleration.

elPaulio
06-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Does it sounds more like a crunching noise, that would definately point to the outer CV joint being worn!!
Harsh acceleration is the worst for it, and I wouldn't recommend doing it as you'll only speed up the wear. CV joints can fail completely if left too long, so would get it fixed ASAP!!

Cheers

Paul

Apollo 03
06-03-2008, 12:46 PM
It could be a loose wheel nut- this can sound like the usual CV joint noise. Have you had the wheels off recently?

elPaulio
06-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Ahh... good call, I forgot about that!!

Very embarassing when you get the garage and they just tighten the nuts up!!
Not that I've done that before, honest, no not me.... errr... ok maybe just the once :)

Paul

Apollo 03
06-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Hope that's all it is, Paul. Are your rolling road bhp figures from a standard 140?

elPaulio
06-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey Apollo,

Yeah, fingers crossed its something simple!!

Yup, that was done 4 months after I got the car with only around 3,000 miles on it so it has loosened up nicely since then and should really get it done again!!

I was pleasently surprised!! :beerchug:

Paul