PDA

View Full Version : fuel surge?

thomas_mk2
12-12-2007, 09:51 PM
hi, im new to this as of today. i have got a mk2 golf 1.6 driver 8v carb and my step dad and i have a month ago re-built the engine and now i have a fuel surge of some kind. its ok for about twenty miles then whe im idling or putting my foot down in anyway it chokes, almost os though there isnt enough petrol. then i'll pull over and it cuts out so i just have to keep chucking petrol through it. any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thank you

thomas

neileg
13-12-2007, 11:34 AM
I'd check in no particular order:
1) Fuel tank pressurisation. Does removing the tank cap stop the problem?
2) Dirt in the carb float chamber
3) Fuel pump on its last legs
4) Dirt in the fuel filter
5) Flexible hoses collapsing internally.

thomas_mk2
13-12-2007, 06:12 PM
i suspected pump or filter but the filter seems fine, it runs abit rich too! im still not hugely clever on al this do you know how to find out about my hoses on the inside? and it doesnt happen if i have floored it everywhere, its only if im going at a steady pace like on the a1 or somethig. thank you

thomas

Diamond Hell
19-12-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm running the risk of sounding like a stuck record on this board, but are you running a Weber with the original intake trunking and airbox etc? Especially the warm air vacuum-powered diverter valve and associated plumbing?

If not, then it's likely to be carb icing, especially in the cold weather we've been having recently.

If it's a Pierburg then you need to check the condition of the vacuum hoses and then throw it away and fit a Weber.

thomas_mk2
19-12-2007, 12:44 PM
no im not, however there ia a pipe missing from my manifold heat gaurd into my air intake box which is missing. i have a filter on with no air intake pipes which is probablys a mistake and will be changed. if it is a weber i need can you send me in the right direction to get one please, and advice on fitting.

thanks

Diamond Hell
19-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Does it have a manual or automatic choke?

A photo will help identify what you have.

With a Weber you really need to run with all of the original inlet set up, or in cold weather you WILL get icing.

thomas_mk2
19-12-2007, 09:34 PM
automatic i think, you seem to know what you're taking about and its petrol! i was wondering if youy could tell me where my idle control was (if i even have one)

thanks again

Diamond Hell
20-12-2007, 12:33 AM
If it's an automatic choke then it's probably a Pierburg 2E carburettor. These carbs were fitted to ensure the Golf complied with emissions legislations, thus, as they age they become one of the most over-complicated devices ever devised for throwing far too much petrol down a hole.

First off, if you want to try and make it work right then put ALL of the intake system back on and make sure it's in good condition - it was all fitted for good reason.

Now if it's still dicking about it's time for you to have a good think about whether it's outstayed it's welcome - I would have said yes it has every time. My Golf was quicker AND did about 10mpg better with the Weber carb fitted to it.

The Weber is a very simple piece of kit. You will still need all of the induction kit intact and you'll have to use a - GASP - manual choke (remember them?), but it will make your Golf more saucy and fun.

Before you start stalking ebay etc - get a picture of the current carb up on here (and what intake bits you have on it at the moment) and I'll confirm what it is.

thomas_mk2
21-12-2007, 03:15 PM
woah that was detailed, i will get a picture of it tomorrow and find out how to put it on here, thank you for your help.