PDA

View Full Version : New Audi Owner

slothman
26-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have an Audi A3 1.8T R Reg; I have found a few problems which I would like to fix.

1. The windscreen wipers stopped working properly, when they are turned on the move about an inch then stop, then every time the ignition is turned off then back on they move another inch or so.

2. The display on the dash showing temperature, radio station etc. some of the lights behind look like they have broke as only some parts light up. I assume this is an LCD an maybe some of the crystals have broke

3. The stereo volume does not function properly unless the car has time to warm up. It does not seem to be the volume knob as it works fine adjusting the bass or treble. If I try and adjust the volume when it has not warmed up then the sound either goes off or goes to the other extreme and is blaring. In addition the disc changer does not let you fast forward any of the CD’s. I guess this unit will need to be replaced.

Any help or observations on the above would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Andrew

MSB
02-10-2006, 08:50 PM
HiI am not sure, but are your wipers arms fixed securely to the mechanism. It may be that the nut which holds the arm in place may be loose, and as a result is just slipping.As for the stereo and dash dsiplay, no idea, but you may be looking at getting replacments i am affraid.

Huweth
03-10-2006, 01:35 AM
If the LCD numbers/letters are working as normal then the display is fine. It will be the lights behind that are blown. I don't know how to fix this (Haynes manual?)

The stereo volume problem is common on those cars. I'm not sure how to fix this either, but I have a small recollection that the problem is fixed with a new stereo. Check out tdiclub.com as they have info on it there. Let us know what you find.

Boardboy
03-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Hi Andrew (slothman)
I had a problem on my MKII Golf tail gate wiper. The spline drive that the wiper arm connects to runs through a boss. Moisture had got in and it had corroded slightly. The wiper used to move slightly and then stop similar to what you discribed. I took it apart cleaned it up and reassembled it with copperslip. Maybe worth a look if the Audi is the same design.
Regards Boardboy