PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm Funny Noise

gstewar1
12-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi Guys!

New to this forum so be nice! LOL :p

Currently got a 56 1.9tdi SE done 37000 miles and is about to go in for its second service next month.

A few 1000 miles ago a funny humming noise start from the rear of the car!!!

I thought it might be the exhaust mounts or something like that but the note doesnt change when you rev the engine! Just a constant low rumble that wasnt there before.

Now me being me I decided to investigate and climb into the boot (saloon, but dont worry it was parked in the drive) to see if i could locate the noise. It seems to be come from behind the spare tyre under the solid metal bit of the boot floor.

Any ideas what this could be? I was thinking maybe fuel pump? Has anyone else experienced this?

Car has usual problems like dead squeaky front suspension and a squeaky headlight switch but apart from that it is a great car.

Cheers :D

iaint
12-12-2007, 03:46 PM
It's not your rear tyres is it ????

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19414

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=16627

Cheers
Iain

Touchofclass
12-12-2007, 04:03 PM
This sounds like the fuel sender pump problem I had a few weeks ago - if so it needs to go into the garage to be fixed ASAP. Does it:

a. Only start when the car has been driven about an hour or so.

b. Also groan from the same direction on start up.

If so - get it to vw soon. Dont take any guff - they told me it was the wheel bearings first (after I told them exactly what the problem was) then miraculously found a spare pump in the stores. Unfortunately my motor broke down the day before it was due to be fitted. I wasnt happy!

gstewar1
12-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Hey, Thanks for the quick replys

Iaint - It is not the tyres as it does it when the car is stationary, hence i was able to investigate ;) but thanks anyways!

Touchofclass - Sorry to hear you car broke but that is exactly it! There is a funny noise when you put the "key" in and the ignition comes on from the back!! Then after the car has been running a while it turns into a low humming noise!!:aargh4:

How long did your car take to be repaired? What milage was on your car when the part packed up?

Now I am no mechanic but if this fails when driving will it stop the car or will the engine suck the diesel straight through so it will run till the engine is stopped in a safe place????

Stuart W
13-12-2007, 01:05 AM
Yes, it sounds like the fuel sender pump thingumyjig.

Mine went at about 43k or so, and it had been making funny noises for a week or two. To me it sounded like the noise you would hear if sitting in a room and someone was drilling a hole in the wall in a next door room(!), and from the driver's seat sounded like it was coming from around the fuel tank area. It wasn't there all the time, and I really only heard it at idle, but perhaps it wasn't loud enough to hear when the car was on the move, radio on, traffic noise etc.

I asked the local dealer to have a look but as per usual there was no problem when they had it in, but a few days later it conked out completely and I had to be towed :zx11:

For a few miles beforehand it seemed to be cutting in and out, so if that happens it might be a good idea to pull over at a safe place, since when mine finally gave up it was in a very bad position - on zig zag bends on an A-road where there have been lots of accidents.

I think someone said elswhere that they had several B6 Passats and most of them had had this problem, so it's clearly an issue that VW should know about.

(Meant to make a post about this as a warning when I joined a few weeks ago, but haven't had the time)

tommyweaves
13-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Mine did it a few weeks ago: noticed a strange humming late afternoon when loading the car for the weekend. Drove 85 miles that evening. Went back to the car later in the evening and it wouldn't fire, just kept turning over. Called the AA who couldn't get anything to show on the electronic diagnostics so went back to "normal diagnosis skills"

Turns out it was the pump in the fuel tank that was the problem. He gave it a good thump (like any good mechanic!) and it started working again, but still with the same hum.

Turns out it was the fuel pump bearing. The AA guy said it was usually found on diesel pumps where some petrol had been put in the tank by accident, but not enough to stop the car from working. This strips the pump bearing of the lubricating effects of diesel (which of course is an oil) and causes it to wear out.
I've had my car from new so I knew this was not the case on mine.

My recommendation to all is to have the dealer check your in-tank fuel pump just before your warranty runs out.

gstewar1
14-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Cheers Folks for your responses!!! I suspected it might by the fuel pump. It is going in for its service next month so I will get them to have a look then!!
Just hopes it last that long!

Been doing it for months with no problem just the low hummmmm so hopefully it will!:D

Touchofclass
14-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Id seriously consider taking it in before the service - mine had been doing it for about 2 weeks when it broke down:aargh4:. The engine wont run without the sender, as soon as the pump stops youve got about 1 mile before the engine uses up whats left in the line and the engine will stop. This was at about 50K miles.

domestos
18-12-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm in a 55 2.0 TDI SE, done 65k miles (mostly mortoway miles). My drive pulls out onto a fast duel carriageay, and so I have to hit the gas sharpish sometimes.

The other morning it was freezing, frost on car, and I had to punch the throttle, I had a judder and a slight loss of power but thought I had just hit a patch of ice at the side of the road and thought nothing of it.

That evening, the same thing happended when I was pulling out on a roundabout. I then noticed it again when pulling onto the slip road to the motoway.

I was then experimenting on the motorway, and no matter what gear I was in, at about 3,500 revs I had a gudder. Initially I thought it might be a clutch slip, but then not in all gears.

Anyway took it in last week, and my local VW says it was the fuel pump, and that they would not release the car to me because it is too dangerous to drive, if I lose my fuel and then the engine at 80mph (*cough*) 70mph on the motorway then I am in all kinds of trouble...

Come to think about it on the way home on the motorway in standing traffic I did have some noise coming from the back end of the car, which sounded like a 18 wheeler was sitting on my back seat.

Anyway, the VW garage are going to do the work as goodwill, even though I am out of warrenty, they have even given me a courtesy car (PASSAT too!!!) for the duration.

Fuel pumps are on back order at the moment and they are not going to get any delivered until early January, so I am quite shocked that all this is being covered at no cost to me for the next months or so.

Thumbs up to Stockport Smith Knight and Fay...
:Blush:

gstewar1
28-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Well the car went in for its service yesterday, and guess what no fault found!

They say there is an initial noise which is the pump priming which it has always done and one which I was aware of. But the one I was talking about is one which has developed since. But as the wee computer didn’t show any faults then there is nothing they can do. So I shall just have to wait until I break down in the fast lane obviously. Ok maybe a wee bit over dramatic but I am annoyed as I am trying to tell them there is something wrong but they won’t listen.

On a brighter note they lubricated the suspension to stop it squeaking which is good.