PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had this engine Problem?

petera1979
12-12-2007, 01:07 AM
I was driving down the A406 this morning and put my foot in the fast lane when all of a sudden the car jolted and I lost acceleration power. A light on the dash said "engine failure bring to garage!".:zx11:

I couldn't accelerate over 50mph as the engine wouldnt allow me and would just cut my acceleration and the car would only allow me to go max 40mph.

There was also a yellow light that was flashing on the dash.

Luckily I was near VW garage in Southgate where I picked my car from on Saturday. I can't believe Im having engine problems already. The car was a used vehicle but only had 20000miles on the clock.

Luckily anyway they took my car in straight away as it was due for a few things that needed to be fitted in this week (armrest, ipod connection, dog guard).

Has any experienced this or know what is the likely cause of my engine failure???

Stuart W
12-12-2007, 03:59 AM
I had a similar problem with mine before its first service, but the problem was rectified simply by stopping the car and starting it again. It happened at random intervals maybe five or six times.

The dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it, but they said that it could be due to a software problem, which in any case was updated at the first service. Don't know if that was the problem, but it certainly hasn't happened since, thus about 30,000 miles trouble-free.

Don't know if yours is the same problem, but has your software been updated?

petera1979
12-12-2007, 10:19 AM
I had a similar problem with mine before its first service, but the problem was rectified simply by stopping the car and starting it again. It happened at random intervals maybe five or six times.

The dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it, but they said that it could be due to a software problem, which in any case was updated at the first service. Don't know if that was the problem, but it certainly hasn't happened since, thus about 30,000 miles trouble-free.

Don't know if yours is the same problem, but has your software been updated?

Not sure if the software was updated as just picked up vehicle last Saturday. It did have a service before they gave me the car.

I will wait till I hear from the dealer as they still have my vehicle. If they say they didn't find a problem, then I will certainly mention to them about the software update.

Will keep you posted on what they say!

Quatrelle
12-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Just to reinforce what Stuart W has said, the following quote is taken from http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=759&

"Emissions sensor fault putting 2.0TDI PDs into limp home mode. Stopping and switching off re-sets, but can happen 3 times on a 90 mile motorway journey. Dealer software download cures."

In an ideal world your dealer should check for software updates every time you take your car in. It should be on his computer and easy enough to verify. Because of subtle and not-so-subtle changes in the way my car drives since I've had it, I'm fairly sure mine is up to date.

angus
13-12-2007, 11:28 AM
The software updates interest me, as my Passat had its first service some 8k ago, no mention of an update, and its sister vehicle went in for its first service a fortnight ago for its first service and they did an update on the engine software.
When the car was picked up, the engine was `hunting` badly on idle despite the rev counter showing a steady 800rpm. The regular driver asked me to go for a run with her as it `didn`t sound right`, which it didn`t. (the preverbial bag of nails springs to mind) so we ran it to the dealers and insisted they look at it NOW (are you sure you don`t want to book it in sir?). Anyway, they looked at it, kept it, and by the time we had got back to the office (10 minutes) the service department had rung to say the car would be ready in three days when it had had a new engine fitted.

The car is now back, running fine after a new engine (at 18k?) but still no explanation as to why it was needed in the first place.:confused:

Quatrelle
13-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Angus - sounds like someone in the dealers pressed the wrong button when doing a diagnostic, which is perhaps why they didn't tell you why they fitted a new engine!

Unfortunately, I think your 'NOW' is the best way to approach some dealers - there does seem to be a enormous variation in their attitude and ability. I've had no problem with mine so far (touch wood) except that they always seem to keep the car longer than they say will.

deepc
13-12-2007, 05:47 PM
I have a 2.00tdi Oct 05 reg 72k milage similar problem only I was travelling at 80 when the speed fell to 40. Very scary !

I took it to the dealer who diagnosed a blown turbo. Vehicle was 16 days out of warranty due to milage in excess of 60,000

Was charged £ 1700 for a repair VW tech support contributed 65 % towards the cost. This in addition to fuel pump which needed replacing 5 days out of warranty has left me £ 800 out of pocket.

Not happy with uk customer services any one no German contact addresses ?

petera1979
13-12-2007, 11:56 PM
I have a 2.00tdi Oct 05 reg 72k milage similar problem only I was travelling at 80 when the speed fell to 40. Very scary !

I took it to the dealer who diagnosed a blown turbo. Vehicle was 16 days out of warranty due to milage in excess of 60,000

Was charged £ 1700 for a repair VW tech support contributed 65 % towards the cost. This in addition to fuel pump which needed replacing 5 days out of warranty has left me £ 800 out of pocket.

Not happy with uk customer services any one no German contact addresses ?

I hope my turbo hasn't blown. Its only done 20,000 miles. Hopefully find out when they contact me when my car is ready. I hope its just the software.

I will let you guys know what the problem was.

petera1979
27-12-2007, 10:11 PM
I thought my dealer sorted out the engine problem but I had 4 engine faults today and was limbing on the motorway. I had to pull up on the hard shoulder 4 times to turn on and off the engine!!

My VW dealer also said they sorted out my steering alignment, which don't think they done either!!!! ERGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!:zx11:

Slimbarry
29-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I thought my dealer sorted out the engine problem but I had 4 engine faults today and was limbing on the motorway. I had to pull up on the hard shoulder 4 times to turn on and off the engine!!

My VW dealer also said they sorted out my steering alignment, which don't think they done either!!!! ERGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!:zx11:

Name them to shame them!