PDA

View Full Version : Advice to fix fuel leak

shapes
11-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post. Right, I'm (by a long way) not as handy as a lot of you but I'm wondering if one of you can take me through how to go about fixing this.

My Golf GTI 8v (95) wouldn't start the other day. I'd just had it into the garage to have the throttle body and idle control cleaned as I'd had erratic idling and stalls (this seems to crop up alot on this forum...). After trying to turn it over I noticed that when i was turning the key i seemed to be causing some fuel to leak onto the street! After some inspection i noticed that a valve (i think it's the fuel pressure regulator but I've just guessed at this from a Haynes picture) was just hanging loose. The petrol was literally falling out of this valve when i was turning the key and the starter was going. My guess is that the guy who cleaned the throttle body didnt reconnect it properly.

I tried to reconnect it by inserting the V shaped pin through the gaps in the housing but it wouldn't clip in. I'm thinking there must be more to it than this perhaps some kind of seal or something as the pressure of the pin alone wouldn't keep the petrol from leaking.

Can someone tell me how I can fix this and if I am missing some vital parts?

Cheers

Crasher
12-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Why the hell would he remove the fuel pressure regulator, it is near the work space for removing the throttle body but there is no need to remove it. The "O" ring can be reluctant to go back in when trying to refit the FPR so a thin sliver of washing up liquid on the "O" ring can help it slide back in so the retaining clip can then be slid back in across the top of the FPR.

shapes
12-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the reply Crasher.

I dont have the O ring anymore. Didnt know there was one to be honest! Can I pick this up at a car parts shop or do I need to order one from VW?

Crasher
12-12-2007, 12:38 AM
I don’t see how you could loose the main “O” ring but they are only available as a set (there are two, one small one and one large) from VW under the part number 037 198 031 for £3.24, item 8. You do mean the regulator held onto the end of the fuel rail don’t you? Item 2. My apologies for posting an illegal picture but this is a safety issue, I am sure the mods would prefer this to a flambéed forum member.

shapes
12-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Hi Crasher,

Yes thats the bit in question. When I looked at it earlier there was only the actual valve hanging to the side of the rail and the retainer clip was clipped to the rail. I dont know whether the O ring might still be on there, I didnt notice but then again i didnt know what to look for.

Thanks for the advice again I'll try and get this sorted first thing tomorrow to avoid starting a bonfire....

:beerchug: