PDA

View Full Version : Speeding

james_tiger_woo
11-12-2007, 10:03 PM
I can't believe it - I got a speeding ticket today **shakes head**

TBH, I deserved it and expected it - it's rubbish though....

Who else has been done in their Passat?

MalcQV
11-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Sorry to hear that, managed to stay clean so far, though probably cop it tomorrow now :p

Was it a scamera?

Had a few points in the past but caught by Mr Plod fair and square (or deserved). All clean at present. For me it was an occupational hazard as I used to drive 180 miles a day. Got a bit cocky on an 'A' road and got nicked twice. Second time I reckon the VASCAR was tripped early, however prior to being followed I was speeding so deserved the points :o

james_tiger_woo
12-12-2007, 09:04 AM
It was one of those mobile camera things in a location where I've seen them only once - I was overtaking some idiot woman at the time so - hands up - I was speeding :( That'll teach me to bother going to see my Mum (lol)

I currently do 84 miles round trip for work which is mostly m-way so, cruise control @ 72 is all I need.

Ah well, I guess I'll spend the next 3 years staring at my speedo and looking out for speed cameras - because that'll make me a safe driver (!)

MalcQV
12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
It was one of those mobile camera things in a location where I've seen them only once - I was overtaking some idiot woman at the time so - hands up - I was speeding :( That'll teach me to bother going to see my Mum (lol)
Bloody Camera partnerships schemes - Scamera

Ah well, I guess I'll spend the next 3 years staring at my speedo and looking out for speed cameras - because that'll make me a safe driver (!)

From my experience it wears off. Be careful the first 3 points (I assume it is your first 3) are not a problem, insurance companies are not that bothered. Should you get the next 3 (as I did) then you and they start getting a little concerned.

We all speed at some time and it is a matter of whether we get caught doing it. Non of us are "perfect" drivers even if we think so :p

bora(ing) nick
12-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Non of us are "perfect" drivers even if we think so :p

Speak for yourself, lol....:D

Unlucky J-T-W.

Nick

james_tiger_woo
12-12-2007, 02:15 PM
"Safety Camera" my bum - When it catches drunks, druggies and people with no insurance, then and only then will I start calling it a Safety Camera....

And cheers - It is indeed only 3 points now, but it still chokes.

I'm no perfect driver - I dumped my Bora into a field backwards a couple of years ago Lol :D

Baron_Samedi
30-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Out of interest, what is the tolerance in excess speed allowable before bonus points are issued?

Is it 10 percent over the limit?

The reason I ask is that my speedo reads at least 5mph fast at 70mph so....

If I travel on the mway at an actual GPS speed of 75mph (ie less than 10% over limit) my speedo would be indicating closer to 80mph.

Baron_Samedi
30-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Bloody Camera partnerships schemes - Scamera

From my experience it wears off. Be careful the first 3 points (I assume it is your first 3) are not a problem, insurance companies are not that bothered. Should you get the next 3 (as I did) then you and they start getting a little concerned.

We all speed at some time and it is a matter of whether we get caught doing it. Non of us are "perfect" drivers even if we think so :p

My insurance company were very interested in my three points (damned mobile cameras) and added £70 to my premium....

Thus I have to agree that I am not a "perfect" driver :Blush2:

james_tiger_woo
30-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Out of interest, what is the tolerance in excess speed allowable before bonus points are issued?

Is it 10 percent over the limit?

The reason I ask is that my speedo reads at least 5mph fast at 70mph so....

If I travel on the mway at an actual GPS speed of 75mph (ie less than 10% over limit) my speedo would be indicating closer to 80mph.

There is no definitive rate - it depends on the local police authority....

chrisvrscrx
30-01-2008, 12:51 PM
I have 6 points and the last 3 I got the premium went up by £300!!!

I got caught speeding on the motorway the first time then 45 in a 30

They should be out catching robbers and smack heads but drivers are easy targets and good money makers for the damn police.

MalcQV
30-01-2008, 01:51 PM
I have 6 points and the last 3 I got the premium went up by £300!!!

I got caught speeding on the motorway the first time then 45 in a 30

They should be out catching robbers and smack heads but drivers are easy targets and good money makers for the damn police.

They are, very true indeed.

djsky
30-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I once did a journey from oxford up to scarborough and back in the same day.

This was in my Golf Estate TDI and as I was in no particular rush, cruised up there at 56 mph, and back at 56mph. 10 miles from home, happy with myself that I'd averaged a whopping 79 miles per gallon!!!! I passed a speed camera, confident that the limit was 40 mph, went past it at 39... *FLASH* *FLASH* .... was recently changed from 40 to 30.

So, how gutted was I!

Has anyone had experience of arguing the toss and getting away with tickets? Surely with all these cameras popping up, people are going to be caught more and more... enough to the point that in a single day one could lose their license.

dansansome
30-01-2008, 03:17 PM
back in 99 i got done for 49 in a 30. £40 & 3 points. (i must also point out that it was going down a very steep hill, and really i had just built up speed by almost coasting in 4th gear)

unfortunately i seemed to get PC smug, who's first words were "did you realise how fast you were going, or were you too busy listening to your stereo?" umm, ok...turned down stereo.

after a brief chat about my speed and trying to placate the situation by saying that the trouble with "sports" cars (i had a pug 309 gti at the time) is that they are good at masking the speed you are actually doing. to which he replied

"oh, so driving without undue care and attention then..."

me (in mild disbelief): "no...i was watching the road"

PC smug: "ahh, yes. but at that speed, if someone jumped out in front of you, you would never have stopped"

after informing the policeman that HE had just jumped out in front of me, and i had stopped really quite easily, he just looked down & finished writing out the ticket. lol. i know i was in the wrong and deserved the points, but his smugness just irritated me.

i was informed that anything 50 or above in a 30 zone results in an automatic court appearance and a minimum of 6 points

then last year, i got caught by another pc who was hiding under the branches of a willow tree. the sod. was doing 48 in a 30 (after going through two static gatsos at 30 lol). once again deserved. pc smug wasnt on duty that day, so i just bent over and took my medicine.

Baron_Samedi
30-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Chris,

Out of interest, how much difference did your three points make?

Oops wrong speeding thread!

LeFrog
31-01-2008, 12:13 AM
:zx11::zx11::zx11:

Not really to do with speeding but talking about motorists getting ripped off at every opportunity. I had only had my new B6 Estate for 2 days it was 8pm, pitch black and pouring with rain so I wasn't worried about parking on a single yellow. Of course when I got back there was a nice £50 fixed penalty notice.

My crime was to be half in a bay reserved for motorcyclists. Now I was well aware that disabled bays are 24/7 365 days a year, some would say justifiably but how many of you are aware that any bay marked for any type of vehicle is also 24/7 365 days a year. BEWARE

DaveNN
31-01-2008, 12:04 PM
On the subject of speeding fines......let's see just who can work this out.

About 8 years back I was flashed on the M6 (temporary Gatso) doing about 65mph in a 50mph area (yeh..I know, Stupid etc etc).
I got the NOIP through the door & paid the (then £30) fine
It was may car that was trapped, I was driving BUT I wasn't there!
(I was later told, by a plod (after being done a few months later) that I should've gone to court...the case would've been thrown out.)

Why was I 'innocent'?

DaveNN

dansansome
31-01-2008, 12:09 PM
you were driving another vehicle somewhere else and your wife(?) was driving your car?

DaveNN
31-01-2008, 01:51 PM
you were driving another vehicle somewhere else and your wife(?) was driving your car?

Nope..it was definately me driving the car...on the M6 etc etc
I'd suggest a bit of lateral thinking here.......

bora(ing) nick
31-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Did they get the location wrong on the fine???

Nick

angus
31-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I once did a journey from oxford up to scarborough and back in the same day.

This was in my Golf Estate TDI and as I was in no particular rush, cruised up there at 56 mph, and back at 56mph. 10 miles from home, happy with myself that I'd averaged a whopping 79 miles per gallon!!!! I passed a speed camera, confident that the limit was 40 mph, went past it at 39... *FLASH* *FLASH* .... was recently changed from 40 to 30.

So, how gutted was I!

Has anyone had experience of arguing the toss and getting away with tickets? Surely with all these cameras popping up, people are going to be caught more and more... enough to the point that in a single day one could lose their license.

On the subject of `changing limits` one stretch of road I use every day to go to work recently had it`s limit reduced from 60 to 40 (I was expecting this as I had seen the notification in the local rag).
On the day of the change, all they had done was remove the `national limit` signs, as instead of going from a 40 to 60 you stayed in a 40, but for regular users there was nothing to indicate any change (unless you noticed the sign had gone). Needless to sat on the first morning the <police> had set up a speed trap 100 yards into the `new` limit. :mad:

Talk about devious!

Oh, and in 9 years there has never been a serious accident on this stretch, or injuries/ fatalities.

I suppose its easier than printing money.

MalcQV
31-01-2008, 01:57 PM

About 8 years back I was flashed on the M6 (temporary Gatso) doing about 65mph in a 50mph area (yeh..I know, Stupid etc etc).
(I was later told, by a plod (after being done a few months later) that I should've gone to court...the case would've been thrown out.)

Why was I 'innocent'?

DaveNN

Stolen plates, stolen car??

MalcQV
31-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Oh, and in 9 years there has never been a serious accident on this stretch, or injuries/ fatalities.

I suppose its easier than printing money.
Yep and supposedly legal :(

DaveNN
31-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Stolen plates, stolen car??

Nooooooo!!!
I'll give you a little clue...it was on a Sunday morning.....

Quatrelle
31-01-2008, 05:53 PM

Why was I 'innocent'?

DaveNNWrong date?

DaveNN
31-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Wrong date?

ooooooh Close BUT no cigar!!!

The NOIT said that I was exceeding the posted (or whatever) limit at xxam.
But...at xxam I was (about) another 80 miles down the road.......
The clocks had gone back that day ( I did give a clue), so it was an hour out.
Back then Gatso's had to be re-calibrated for GMT/BST.
I didn't fight it, as my DL was clean at the time & figurede that the magistrate would 'do' me anyway!!
11months later, with a further 7 points on it, I bitterly regretted not contesting!

:aargh4::aargh4: