PDA

View Full Version : Golf water ingress problem

Adrian Wood
25-09-2006, 06:58 PM
My Golf Mk IV TDI 110bhp 5 door is taking on water on passenger side, mainly rear footwell.
No visible sign of water coming in around the door seals but water is getting in somehow! And plenty of it. I am convinced it is rainwater also. Hence me joining this forum.

I had largely dries it out and now this recent rain has soaked me again.

Have checked drains under windscreen are clear and that all seems OK. Pouring a watering can onto the platic shield results in water running out through wheel arch a sit should.

I do have a factory fitted electric sunroof. I presume this has some drains but I cannot find any.

Does anyone have a solution for me, please?

tonyjmoore
25-09-2006, 07:46 PM
It sounds like the door membrane is split or has come unstuck.Remove the rear door panel and check.door panel is probably held by several screws,plus door pull,window handle etc. Good luck

Boardboy
01-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi I've got to agree with tony had the same on two MKII Golfs. Once you have removed the trim from the door, with the membrane still in place and the window up! Pour some water down the glass and see where it goes. I had a split in the membrane where it was old and brittle. I made a new one from polythene and sealed it to the door with bath sealer.
Regards Boardboy.

greas-E-monkey
10-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi there the mk4 golf does not have the same style door membrane as the plastic mk2 or mk3 variety. the door is without a membrane as the window regulator forms part of the inner door skin thus have a butyl tube around the edge acting as the seal. This inner skin is held in place by approx 10 m6 bolts. The seal could be damaged if the window regulator has been replaced before.

Drain hoes for the sunroof are beneath the headling (requires removing)
Do get blocked sometimes though.

Good luck.:approve:

Vvelnef
24-05-2009, 04:19 PM
My Golf Mk IV TDI 110bhp 5 door is taking on water on passenger side, mainly rear footwell.
No visible sign of water coming in around the door seals but water is getting in somehow! And plenty of it. I am convinced it is rainwater also. Hence me joining this forum.

I had largely dries it out and now this recent rain has soaked me again.

Have checked drains under windscreen are clear and that all seems OK. Pouring a watering can onto the platic shield results in water running out through wheel arch a sit should.

I do have a factory fitted electric sunroof. I presume this has some drains but I cannot find any.

Does anyone have a solution for me, please?
Did you ever sort out your water problem - I have the same wirth my Audi A6

Regards,
Vvelnef

Crasher
24-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Audi A6 water ingress into the passengers front foot well is normally blocked plenum chamber drains, search “plenum drains” or similar on here and you will find hundreds of posts over it.

cavalier740
11-07-2009, 09:47 AM
I had same problem with my Bora. I sprayed WD40 on the door rubbers and its been dry ever since.

Joe.p
09-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on my Mk4 gold 51 plate (4 door) with sunroof.

Water in the rear passenger footwell, it appears to happen after heavy rain, or if I wash it.

I can find the rear 'nipples' to see if they have become blocked. Does anyone know where they are?

Thanks

joe

Crasher
09-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Upper A pillars inside the door shuts, above the upper door hinge.

Joe.p
09-08-2009, 10:26 PM
hi,

thanks for your response. Is that for the front or back door hinges? The front appear to be working OK.

Crasher
09-08-2009, 11:11 PM
A pillar front door hinges, B pillar back door hinges, C pillar at the back. If the front ones are OK, the back ones exit inside the rear side panels and I have never seen them block.