PDA

View Full Version : Fitting mud flaps - easy? - and spare key

RIDGMONT61
11-12-2007, 08:27 PM
I have recently bought a 1 year old Passat 140TDI SE, and I am delighted with it. Today I have visited the local dealership and ordered a spare key (£110!) and a full set of mud flaps.

I would be grateful for any advice on the fitting of the mud flaps - is it easy or should I get the dealer to do it.

Apparently the key will need to be programmed by the dealer (extra £50)- and they doubt anybody else could do it - is this true?

VwAdy
12-12-2007, 10:35 PM
You have to remove the wheels to fit and some drilling required...if you got no patience get the dealer to fit;)

Also if you have a sport or had the sport package option which I got..personelly would not recommend mud flaps as they scrape the road on heavy cornering..and speed humps dont even go there:zx11:

Dook
13-12-2007, 02:45 PM
You have to remove the wheels to fit and some drilling required...if you got no patience get the dealer to fit;)

Also if you have a sport or had the sport package option which I got..personelly would not recommend mud flaps as they scrape the road on heavy cornering..and speed humps dont even go there:zx11:

Have to agree with you on the Sport version and mudflaps. I got them fitted on delivery by the Dealer as part of a protections pack, and I scrape them (front and back) on probably 50% of speed bumps. real pain in the ****, and really doesn't give a good impression to passengers :aargh4:

VwAdy
13-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Totally agree DOOk...:D

shudman
17-12-2007, 12:51 AM
But it is funny to see their faces as you go round a roundabout and there is a huge scraping noise :biglaugh:. "OK, own up....who ate all the pies ?"

Have now got to the stage on certain country roads, when the springs compress, where I am expecting it to happen....then the demon in me says "Wonder if I can make them scrape some more ?:firedevil"

One would think the bleaters would rub down....oh no, the bottom of them feels like glass. Don't get them on the lowered suspension....end of.

claranet
20-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Have to agree with you on the Sport version and mudflaps. I got them fitted on delivery by the Dealer as part of a protections pack, and I scrape them (front and back) on probably 50% of speed bumps. real pain in the ****, and really doesn't give a good impression to passengers :aargh4:
I don't really like saying I told you so but.......................if you go slow enough they shouldn't scrape. I have a new(October) 170 DPF Manual Sport estate, with the lowered suspension the Mudflaps do have a habit of scraping the Tarmac. Nearly all the Bridges over the M40 in north Oxfordshire are in my opinion, illegal I graunched the belly guard on my wife's S TDi (100ps)B5 Estate. I say illegal as there must be a minimum standard to which roads must meet.

So what now ?

Regards
claranet

james_tiger_woo
20-12-2007, 09:45 AM
My SE's mudflaps scrape speedhumps too - and that's at all but crawling speed.....

shudman
21-12-2007, 12:54 AM
but he "bleeders" don't even wear down ! What do they make them from ?

Claranet....I think I must be going over the same M40 bridges as you - they are bad