PDA

View Full Version : brakes

Zubair
11-12-2007, 05:22 AM
im a little new at this but here goz...

i have a 1999 MK IV golf 1.6...i know only a baby but what can i do, mr insurance man says im too young at 18 to have anything bigger. anyway...:o

when i am driving on the moterway or at high speeds (legaly;)) from about 65mph on...when i brake i have heavy shaking in the stearing weel...is this normal. or is there a problem with the car?:confused:

please:1zhelp:

thanx

chris.fulton
11-12-2007, 11:42 AM
A tiny bit of shaking when braking at high speed isn't that strange but if the wheel is shaking quite a lot then I would suggest you maybe have warped discs or pads. This can happen if you brake heavily and suddenly quite a lot or if the pads didn't 'bed in' properly when they were last replaced. Best bet would be to get a garage to check the discs and pads over to see if they need replaced.

Zubair
11-12-2007, 07:06 PM
thank you very much...will get on that...

and i have the exact same car as yours!

i love the colour!!! lol

chrisvrscrx
11-12-2007, 07:13 PM
The discs will be warped. The warping can't be seen by the naked eye. Its probably best just to replace the disc and pads.

Zubair
11-12-2007, 07:21 PM
i guess i need to change the discs and the brakes then....if i leave it for a month or so it will nt make the situation any worse will it? as i have no money at this point...xmas just takes it all out of u!...it should be fine shldnt it... :confused:

chrisvrscrx
11-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Just take it easy and you should be ok.

Zubair
15-12-2007, 10:05 PM
do you think it is worth gettin the brakes upgraded...or just sticking with the standerd ones ...as the upgreades (drilled) are only 25£ more? but if i had the front done would that mean the back would need upgradeing aswel????? :confused:

sori im soo clueless in the brakes department!

mluton
15-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Could also be out of balance wheels. Get all your wheels rebalanced at your local Mr tyre.

Simon1985
16-12-2007, 05:28 PM
I also have the same problem with my 1999 Golf 1.6S. I know for sure the brakes need replacing but like you I have to wait till January before I can afford that :(

What have u been quoted for new brakes all round (i believe thats what I need)

mluton
16-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Its an easy job to do the brakes. I did all my discs and pads myself with no present experience.

Did the whole car for £160

Zubair
17-12-2007, 12:19 AM
wel i did my back pads a few months ago myself. the pads cost me about 18£ ex VAT from German and Swedish did them in about a couple of hours not sucha big job...

i just dont have the time to do these ones,

i went to kwick fit and they said the discs range from 40-95£
and the pads 23-45£

depending on the quality but they have this offer that u get free brake pads for as long as u own the car, so i am considering it, but im going to go to my regular mechanic and see what he says about the situation. if ur in the south east area "AVIT" (Audi Volkswagen Independent Technitions) where located in SLOUGH! der as goood as VW the guys who run it used to work for Audi and VW so they have all the relevent experiance and the exact same tools also they use VW parts only...hightly recomend them.

but yeh i wouldnt expect to pay more than 200£ for the hole job inc labour.

Zubair
25-12-2007, 02:30 AM
i got quoted about 160£ from Kwick Fit, and they do this thing where as long as u own the car you can get free brake pads? or suminc? so thats what i might go for. i mean as you said the job isnt hard, i did my back pads a few months ago, but its the face i havent gt the time to do it, it much easyr to get the guy at the garage to do it.

do you think its a good idea to upgrade the brakes? to like drilled ones? and if i did the front would i need to do the back aswel????:confused:

happy xmas everyone :)

Zubair
25-12-2007, 02:32 AM
got quoted about 160£ from Kwick Fit, and they do this thing where as long as u own the car you can get free brake pads? or suminc? so thats what i might go for. i mean as you said the job isnt hard, i did my back pads a few months ago, but its the face i havent gt the time to do it, it much easyr to get the guy at the garage to do it.

do you think its a good idea to upgrade the brakes? to like drilled ones? and if i did the front would i need to do the back aswel????

happy xmas everyone