PDA

View Full Version : Golf Plus RCD 300 Radio removal

Frelon
10-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi all, posted under Golf V as no listing for Golf Plus, yet! OK, I know that it is not as racy as the Golf Mk V but have you seen how much baggage space there is?

I want to install an Xcarlink to listen to my MP3s and therefore need to remove the factory fitted RCD 300.

I see that golfmk5gttdi has done an excellent job of outlining how easy this is with a Mk V Golf, and I may well use this as a guide. However if any forum member can advise which piece of trim needs to be removed first I would appreciate it. Or indeed any advice always accepted.

Ben
10-12-2007, 09:31 PM
it is ALL in the guide.;)

any trim that needs removal has been photographed during removal and are posted in the correct order.

Frelon
10-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks for your reply, and "Yes it is all in the guide" - for a Golf Mk V :confused:

BUT I have a Golf Plus and the layout of the dash is different, that is why I have posted.

Anybody with a Golf Plus done this yet?

Ben
11-12-2007, 06:26 AM
I see, supply a photo of your dash so that i can have a look.

Frelon
11-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi golfmk5gttdi and other viewers,

The new VW Tiguan is based on the Golf Plus so no doubt the Mods will open a new section for Golf Plus and Tiguan!

Here is a photo of my dash (which is the same as the Tiguan) but different to the Golf Mk V! And for those of you not familiar with the Golf Plus, some piccies of mine

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x165/Biggles615/GolfPlusDash.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x165/Biggles615/GolfPlus.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x165/Biggles615/GolfPlusFront.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x165/Biggles615/GolfPlusRear.jpg

Frelon
11-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Oh well, that didn't work! Will try again.

Frelon
11-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Here goes, again!

Can only seem to attach thumbnails. Must play about a bit more!!

Ben
11-12-2007, 05:04 PM
all pictures work fine.

Frelon
11-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Yes, thanks. Had to RTFM though!!

Ben
11-12-2007, 05:08 PM
The mesh grille on top of the dash is highly likely to have the same removal procedure as the MK5.

It remains to be seen if there is something under it that needs to be unscrewed to release the trim that surrounds the radio.

or

do the things either side of the hazard switch come out? there maybe screws in them.

or

The trim around the radio may just unclip using a suitable plastic tool.

the radio will continue to have 4 torx screws locating it in place.

that is what i think.

Frelon
11-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Yes, it looks to me that the plastic around the radio "should" prise off. Just need to find a suitable plastic tool! I will let you know how I get on.

PS: Do you have the VW part no of that plastic bit (in case it comes off in two parts!)?

Froggy
11-12-2007, 05:46 PM
I've been reliably informed that although similar in removal - the air vents on the Golf Plus are an absolute bar steward to put back together. Just a warning...

Frelon
11-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks Froggy, I will watch out for that. Just need to build up the courage.....

Ben
11-12-2007, 06:24 PM
the part number is likely to be stamped on the rear of the part. so if it breaks on removal, just take the broken bit in to VW and blame the wife.;)

martyndix
11-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi all,
I am new to this forum - its my first post! :biglaugh:

I am also trying to remove the radio from my Golf PLUS.I have the satnav installed, not the RCD 300, but the fixings are the same I believe. I am trying to get it out to install a TV tuner to get digital freeview tv on my satnav unit. Have all the bits, all that is stopping me is removing the radio!
Very frustrating!

Be interested to hear when you manage to get it out!

Cheers,
Martyn.

rdann
19-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi all

Well I am also in the same position and need to remove my radio from my Golf Plus. So am wathching the posts with interest.

:1zhelp:

martyndix
19-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi all

Well I am also in the same position and need to remove my radio from my Golf Plus. So am wathching the posts with interest.

:1zhelp:

Has anyone actually been brave enough to just try it yet? I am thinking of going to a private mechanic who my parents always use. He specializes in VW and helped me with my xenon headlight kit. I will slip him a tenner and post how he does it on here. I won't ask him until the new year though as he will be very busy and as it is a bit cheeky...

If anyone tries it in the meantime though... Do the air vents actually need to come out though?
Martyn.
Happy Christmas Chaps! :beerchug:

Frelon
20-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Not yet, still trying to pluck up the courage!

Good luck with your tame mechanic.

martyndix
21-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Not yet, still trying to pluck up the courage!

Good luck with your tame mechanic.

hi, just seen your location. Normandy near guildford in UK, or France?
if UK one, you are down the road from me!
Merry Christmas!

Frelon
21-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Sorry to disappoint you Martyn, but c'est la belle France!

BUT we are with our family near Hungerford for Christmas.

Happy Christmas to you too.

martyndix
21-12-2007, 07:01 PM
I have got the dvd satnav unit out!!! I will post later this evening on how i did it...
Please can someone tell me what the wire colours are and what they do?
Cheers,
Martyn.:D

Ben
21-12-2007, 07:31 PM
excellent.
"How To" remove the radio out of a Golf Plus - coming soon to a How To thread (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167) near you.

Ben
10-01-2008, 08:01 PM
whilst down the dealers today i asked how to remove the trim.

apparently it is just clipped in place, so you have to prise it out. Start at the top and work your way down is what i was told.

becareful though, the trim can snap without warning.

Frelon
09-02-2008, 03:59 PM
How to remove RCD300 from Golf Plus is now posted in the "How To" section.

A.V.A.G.O
13-04-2008, 10:07 AM
I have just removed my stereo to replace it with the rcd500 only to find it dont work. But anyway.

You dont need to remove the tray in the top of the dash.
1) remove the airbag on/off display ( then remove the screw behind here )
2) remove the little slot thing to the left of the hazzard switch ( Again there is another screw )

3) make sure the wife is not about and borrow her best cake iceing spatular
the one I used was about 2 inch wide ( stainless steel )

4 ) from the side (left ) just above the top vent slide the spatula in and slide it down towards the bottome vent, you will hit the clip,lever the spatula towads the steering wheel and then slide the spatula down a touch then lever back toward the glove box. the top corner will now be released.

5) now do the same near the bottom vent on the left and repeat on the right hand side.

Note: there are 6 clips in total 4 you can get to with the spatula and 2 you can get to. once you have released the 4 clips by the vents you will have noticed that the facia is being held in the middle to the left and right of the stereo. here you have to give it a little tug ( the clips are C shaped ) the will come off.
once these 2 are release you will need to jiggle the facia as you remove it as part of the vents are attached. once out you will see the 4 screws holding the stereo in.

when you have replaced the stereo and have put the facia back it will probably be bowing in the center where the C clips are, just give it a swift bang with you fist to reseat the clips.
and thats it.
I will post some pictures when I get round to finding a working RCD500 unless someone knows how to get the transit lock off or how to make it work
AVAGO:beerchug:

Big John
06-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi, I have a 2008 Golf Plus and went through the same procedure of finding out how to take out the radio and as a quick guide the following may help.
1, remove the oblong CC holder and "Warning" oblong about the passanger airbag being off. These are easlily removed with a blunt kitchen knife, they are just held in with clips. You can then release the top half of the trim by two torx screws, radio trim can then be carefully removed as with the warning triangle switch. Radio is held in by a further torx screws.

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT FORGET TO RECONNECT THE TRIANGLE SWITCH BACK WHEN TESTING THE RADIO. IF YOU DO NOT, YOU GET THE AIR BAG WARNING ON ALL THE TIME.

This needs to be reset by a laptop.

I hope this helps.

Phortys
08-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Just a add on about the Airbag light I connected my triangle light back up before switching my radio back on but still the warning light came on for the airbag :( .

Ah!!back to the vw garage to get it reset :(

They will be sick and tired of seeing me.

Big John
08-01-2009, 11:22 PM
May be the ignition key was turned on befor the triangle switch was connected. That is what happened to me.
When I went to the local dealer they refused to clear the airbag warning as they said they had not worked on the vehicle and did not know why the airbag light was on. I had to find an independant service agent who gladly cleared the problem. It took just 2mins with his laptop.

Phortys
09-01-2009, 02:39 AM
Def connected the triangle switch first as took your advise but still came up warning airbag.

What I think you need to connect is the passenger airbag light off switch back up as this will prob set the light off as this was not connected back up when I tried the radio doh!!!

Ah well hope this gets sorted tomorrow will tell you what happens:)