PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Locks On All Passats

cyborg
10-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi Guys
I drive a 2006 2.0 fSI passat. Found out by chance that our doors are not actually locked from the inside. 1 Pull of the inside door handle and the door swings open.....no second pull required like all other VW's or cars. From the outside the doors are all locked. But from the inside , every single door can be opened with one single pull of the handle. The car Manual says pull twice....but it actually requires only 1 pull. IT IS A SAFTEY HAZARD. A Child can open the door when in motion with a single pull of the inside door handle...happened to me at 120km an hour. Lucky the parent was holding child on lap in rear. I contacted dealer and they checked a few PASSAT's and told me that every single one of them do the exact same. NO other VW does this excepth our passats. i am in South Africa, can someone confirm if the same happens in your vehicle and in what country. VWSA say it is normal....i say its not as some one can be flung out the car unknowingly without warning...especially kids. They call it an electronic lock and not mechanical. The Tourag has the same system but works correctly. PLEASE HELP AND CHECK YOUR CARS so i can compare agianst yours.

thanks

james_tiger_woo
10-12-2007, 10:24 AM
This happens in my Passat too - 2005 plate 2.0tTDi SE

Quatrelle
10-12-2007, 11:25 AM
..... the parent was holding child on lap in rear. What?? :aargh4: and you're complaining about the danger of the doors opening? Are you not legally required to belt children (and adults) in?

Ours (France) opens with a single pull, same as every other car I've been in here. If everyone was belted in it wouldn't be problem.

Ours can be locked by the remote so that the doors can't be opened from the inside under any circumstances (crime prevention) but I believe Mercedes don't fit dead locks simply because it would stop people getting out in the event of an accident - anyone put me right on this?

james_tiger_woo
10-12-2007, 12:01 PM
What?? :aargh4: and you're complaining about the danger of the doors opening? Are you not legally required to belt children (and adults) in?

Ours (France) opens with a single pull, same as every other car I've been in here. If everyone was belted in it wouldn't be problem.

Ours can be locked by the remote so that the doors can't be opened from the inside under any circumstances (crime prevention) but I believe Mercedes don't fit dead locks simply because it would stop people getting out in the event of an accident - anyone put me right on this?

Agreed with the :aargh4: on the child on lap - that's a multi point licence endorsement here in the UK - and just not right.....

My 2005 Seat Leon that I've just got rid of used to auto lock at 15 mph - What is supposed to happen in case of an accident is that the locks auto open.... Not that I ever found out if this were true, of course....

Quatrelle
10-12-2007, 12:21 PM
It's an option that I've turned off on mine.

Faulty locks? Re-reading the original post, I reckon we're being wound up here ;)

cyborg
10-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi guys
Yeah i had 3 adults on the back seat with a child....so its obvious the child sat on the lap....with adults and child all strapped in....but my concern is that with all doors locked people can still access the doors from the inside with a single pull of the handle. The kid was maybe bored "3 year old" and saw a silver handle and wanted to touch it....which it did...my concern is suppose i am at a stop street and another small BRAT decides to pull on the handle, and the door opens up on a cyclist ...potential fatality here.
Everyone buckles up in my car but what if i am not paying attention and a belt is undone to fetch a toy that has fallen onto the floor and as the kid gets up from fetching the toy , unknowingly grabs the door handle, which opens the door.....do you guys look back every 5 seconds to check if your kids have their belts on, or pay attention to the road in front. Okay my kid is safety concious , but what about someone elses kid....can happen to you....just be aware.

QUATRELLE

IS there a program option and were. I checked the on board options and nothing related to this single pull open. Please advise were as the Technicians dont know themselves here.

Thanks guys

james_tiger_woo
10-12-2007, 01:08 PM
You could always just enable the child locks on the doors in the back......

Quatrelle
10-12-2007, 02:17 PM
j_t_w - I'd had a quick look for these (before you posted) and didn't see any - usually a little lever in the door. Are there any?

The car's in the garage and it's cold and windy here so I wasn't going to spend too long looking - I went to check the driver's manual sitting inside the car!

Quatrelle
10-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Cyborg - check the driver's manual, it's in Section 3.1 near the front. Door locking is on the dash display under Convenience menu, locks the doors at 15mph as j_t_w said.

cyborg
10-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi.The doors do lock as you drive off. If you are outside the car, you cannot open the doors, BUt if you are inside and PULL ONCE the door instantly open. On most cars, you PULL TWICE. I have checked 2 GOLFS, 1 POLO, 1 Tourag, 1 Jetta and they all require you to PULL TWICE at the inside door handle to open it, only the PASSAT you pull ONCE. The manual states PULL TWICE as the first pull releases the LOCk mechanism and the second PULL opens the door. The PASSAT does not do this. Please check your cars to confirm if you need 2 pulls or 1 pull , when the door is locked.
The CHILD LOCK feature is at the LOCKING mechanism ...more towards the inside. I used it.....but an inconvience when you have passengers....DOOR MAN.

james_tiger_woo
10-12-2007, 03:52 PM
If you open the door and look down the back pillar, you should see the child lock - there's a little slot that the (removable part of the) key will fit into - turn it and that'll lock it

VwAdy
10-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I do agree with CYBORG but an inconvience when you have passengers....my wifes Msport BMW has this pull handle twice business and everytime a passenger says door wont open:zx11: I say you got to pull twice.:aargh4:...

And yes my b6 requires one tug to open two tugs the wife allways says no:Blush2::D:Blush::naughty:

DaveNN
10-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi guys
Yeah i had 3 adults on the back seat with a child....so its obvious the child sat on the lap....with adults and child all strapped in....but my concern is that with all doors locked people can still access the doors from the inside with a single pull of the handle. The kid was maybe bored "3 year old" and saw a silver handle and wanted to touch it....which it did...my concern is suppose i am at a stop street and another small BRAT decides to pull on the handle, and the door opens up on a cyclist ...potential fatality here.
Everyone buckles up in my car but what if i am not paying attention and a belt is undone to fetch a toy that has fallen onto the floor and as the kid gets up from fetching the toy , unknowingly grabs the door handle, which opens the door.....do you guys look back every 5 seconds to check if your kids have their belts on, or pay attention to the road in front. Okay my kid is safety concious , but what about someone elses kid....can happen to you....just be aware.

QUATRELLE

IS there a program option and were. I checked the on board options and nothing related to this single pull open. Please advise were as the Technicians dont know themselves here.

Thanks guys

This is worrying...not the doors...just that it seems acceptable to sit a child on an adults knee -therefore sharing a seat belt.
I presume that the lap part of the belt would go around the child's waist?
In the event of an accident the lapbelt could (potentially) cause paralysis to the child. This is so stupid.... my 'pet hate' on another thread.

Ben
10-12-2007, 09:46 PM
at 120kph, i'd be suprised if any one can open a door due to the immense air pressure applied to the door in forward motion. yes it may of popped the lock but until you slowed then the door would say closed to.

4 in the back is illeagal, no ifs no buts - if you want this option Vw do a 7 seat Touran.

do you have 4 seat belts in the rear?

I would of thought 1 pull and open is wrong on a common sense level, its two pulls on my golf.

Quatrelle
10-12-2007, 10:50 PM
If you open the door and look down the back pillar, you should see the child lock - there's a little slot that the (removable part of the) key will fit into - turn it and that'll lock itI'll have a proper look tomorrow.:o

It's not a problem for us, and even our grandchildren are old enough to know better (and always belted in).

A friend's BMW330ci is only one pull, and I have to say I've never known any different. imo the idea of two pulls is pointless. What's to stop a child pulling the handle twice? Child locks on the back doors are the answer to everything on this thread. Oh, and common sense....

cyborg
11-12-2007, 11:55 AM
I generally only have my kid in the back...and sometimes my 2 nephews....
It was a once off full load ...helped a friend who had a breakdown late at night.....much unsafer to sit in a TOWED car behind a Towtruck.
My concern was knowing that the door can be opened with a single pull off the handle. But some off you have confirmed that this is a "normal" thing on the Passat...and not on the other models.

Quatrelle
11-12-2007, 05:20 PM
If you open the door and look down the back pillar, you should see the child lock - there's a little slot that the (removable part of the) key will fit into - turn it and that'll lock itJTW - found it, thanks - I was 'looking with my mouth' again :o

Cyborg - There you go - the answer to all your worries.

So I think we can agree that there's nothing faulty about the locks ;)

james_tiger_woo
11-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Not a problem :)

You might want to enable the child window lockdown while you're at it :)

Quatrelle
11-12-2007, 05:51 PM
..... the child window lockdown.....What's that! (and I thought I read the manual from end to end) :o

bora(ing) nick
11-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Locks the rear electric windows...

Nick

james_tiger_woo
11-12-2007, 07:37 PM
The button between the window switches to disable the rear window switches...

Quatrelle
11-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Oh that, presumed it meant overriding the rear window controls - never heard it described as that before.