PDA

View Full Version : Auto-wipers

JohnH
10-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Hopefully this isn't answered somewhere else, if it is then I apologise !

I 'got' the auto-wipers with the auto-dimming mirror option (which was what I actually wanted) on my '07 Avant and I find them to be very frustrating: they sometimes work fine but on most occasions I get fed-up of waiting for a wipe whilst peering through a rain-covered screen and have to switch the wipers to continuous wipe then off again.

I understand that you can adjust the sensitivity via the column switch and I have read elsewhere that the sensitivity needs to be increased in darker lighting conditions (although this isn't clear from the manual imho). However I still don't find the performance of this 'driver aid' acceptable.

Has anyone else got experience of this ? Can the dealer adjust the sensitivity of the system ?:confused:

RickT
10-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi,

I was driving a A3 the other day with auto wipers and found them a pain... they didnt come on early enough..

It may be im so used to the one down click wipe in light rain, i was not other impressed.. but as it was a hire car and no manually i just played with the settings and could not find a good on apart from in heavy rain which was pointless anyway.

Rick

markle
20-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I have experienced auto wipers across a number of different car manufacturers, they never quite work as you hope. I had a screen replaced recently and they behaved differently with the new screen, which was a tad bizzare.

I have an A4 now with no auto wiper, they come on and go off when I want now which is great!

Hax
21-12-2007, 08:51 AM
I swear by Rain-X.
No need for any wipers over about 20 MPH.

Started using it on my bike helmet visors but also on the front screen.
Needs to be applied every few weeks but I wouldn't go without :D

McKipper
04-01-2008, 08:10 AM
I have the Auto Wipers on my A4, my first experience with them, and find them fantastic. I do keep them on the highest sensitivity setting and do not have a need to overriding them.

To set the sensitivity, put the stalk in the auto wipe position, and use the intermittent wipe switch to increase or decrease the sensitivity. (up is sensitive, down is less so)