PDA

View Full Version : polo vibration

tony b
23-09-2006, 09:16 PM
My wife has a 1999 polo 1.9 non turbo diesel 110k nice condition ,drives,starts and goes well but below 1300 rpm vibrates and you can feel drumming coming thro the whole body shell.So far I have:-

1. loosened off all engine mounts run engine briefly and retightened
2. Replaced 2 main engine mounts and checked rear tie mount.
3. checked compression on all cylinders
4. changed air and fuel filters
5. checked valve timing and pullies.
6. loosened in turn each injector fuel line while engine is running to see if all 4 have equal effect.

No joy at all , any ideas please .( I know these engines are a bit unrefined and am not confusing the problem with the normal vibes and clatter, I have driven others to compare)

stuart
23-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi

Does it do this whilst driving, or standing still? If it happens whilst driving, it could be a faulty tyre, I had this on a 3 year old car, drove me mad, but the dealer investigated it and found a rear tyr out of shape... changed tyre, and cured the problem.

Stuart

tony b
23-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Both actually below 1300 rpm but most noticeable at tickover at rest

Dan BH
13-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Glad I am not the only one!

I have an anoying vibration that I can feel through the accelerator pedal, particularly at low revs and when I am decelerating. The car has been checked over several times at a friendly garage but all appears fine. Everything seems to run smoothly!

Please let me know if you figure it out.

adamss24
13-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Hi, could be the dual mass flywhell as i remember but vw upgraded that on the later engines...how many miles and what is the engine code(see the log book) ?

dkw
17-07-2007, 04:00 AM
My wife has a 1999 polo 1.9 non turbo diesel 110k nice condition ,drives,starts and goes well but below 1300 rpm vibrates and you can feel drumming coming thro the whole body shell.So far I have:-

1. loosened off all engine mounts run engine briefly and retightened
2. Replaced 2 main engine mounts and checked rear tie mount.
3. checked compression on all cylinders
4. changed air and fuel filters
5. checked valve timing and pullies.
6. loosened in turn each injector fuel line while engine is running to see if all 4 have equal effect.

No joy at all , any ideas please .( I know these engines are a bit unrefined and am not confusing the problem with the normal vibes and clatter, I have driven others to compare)
Hi Regarding the Polo vibration - have you sorted it. I had a similar problem with my 1997 SDi Polo. I eventually tracked mine down to the front exhaust mountings which were very tightly stretched. the makers of new replacement non VW exhausts are not accurate with the positioning of the welded bits of bar. Loosen these by breaking and rewelding keeping the exhaust central - vibration should then go away

dkw
17-07-2007, 04:01 AM
:aargh4:
Hi Regarding the Polo vibration - have you sorted it. I had a similar problem with my 1997 SDi Polo. I eventually tracked mine down to the front exhaust mountings which were very tightly stretched. the makers of new replacement non VW exhausts are not accurate with the positioning of the welded bits of bar. Loosen these by breaking and rewelding keeping the exhaust central - vibration should then go away

Corgi
26-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Guess what? my '97 1.9 D CL is doing exactly the same as the previous posts! :) It's a little over the top when I'm starting her up or waiting at traffic lights etc :) still I really like my Polo and the engine's a gem.

Crasher
26-02-2008, 11:06 PM
To be honest they all feel like that, some worse than others. One I drove a while back was so rough at idle I could not bear to sit in it. As far as I could tell nothing was wrong with it but the owner had no money for me to investigate it. I have driven these when nearly new and they aren’t any better, I can’t believe VW made them like that or that people bought them.

dkw
27-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Tjese engines have suh a high torque that the engine mounts take a bashing over time. Replacing the rea munting usually solnes the problem.

DK

Guess what? my '97 1.9 D CL is doing exactly the same as the previous posts! :) It's a little over the top when I'm starting her up or waiting at traffic lights etc :) still I really like my Polo and the engine's a gem.

Crasher
27-02-2008, 10:40 PM
You call 124Nm(91.45lbft)@2000-3000rpm high torque! The 1.6 8v petrol has 135Nm(99.57lbft)@2800-3600rpm. The 1.9D is a horrid engine.

Corgi
27-02-2008, 11:46 PM
I like mine very much and wonder why you're on your high horse.

dkw
28-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi

Mine is an SDi The rear mounting replacement did the trick. Te 1.9 is in virtually all VWs and their derivatives. They cannot be so bad.

Crasher
28-02-2008, 07:06 PM
The SDI is a much smoother idling engine and you all misunderstood me, I don't like them in this particular installation and the 1.9D isn't the same as other 1.9 SDI and TDI units.

Corgi
28-02-2008, 07:33 PM
What's to misunderstand?

Crasher
28-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Forget it!

keelstow
05-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I have been VW quoted £52 for the rear mount so will see if this cures the terrible vibration on the wife's Polo

some mechanics thought it was the dual mass flywheel and the car would be a write-off in terms of cost, another undid mount and vibes went,so glad this could cure.

have to agree whilst this engine is powerful it lacks TDi finess! was missold this car as it was advertised as a SDi...should have made more fuss at the time...still only 75k on 10year motor

Corgi
09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi keelstow, I'm interested to hear how you get on with your replacement rear engine mount (I'm sure other forum members will be too).

Ultimately, I guess you could get your dosh back through the mis-selling description? If it was a private sale 'sold as is' it might be a problem.

I hope the rear mount works for you, but do let us know how you get on :)

keelstow
09-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I fitted the rear mount yesterday, after eventually paying £37 delivered from All German Parts Ltd Leeds 2yrs guarantee (0113 2775245) see website also. 16mm spanner needed but otherwise very easy.

Good reduction in vibration means wife will have less to moan about! The old part seemed OK visually, but that is not to say rubber had not aged. I think my problems were compounded by some idle rev resonance. Well worth the money spent

As regards original purchase we were swayed by low mileage and I got a 10% discount when SDi was not being offered

keelstow
09-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Now that I have done a proper test drive I can report a much better state of health

The part number of the gearbox mount is 6N0199851AG, you can see it here

http://asp.ge/index.php?asp_menu_id=39&mrid=6n&linie=0&status=0&p2=60

might also be worth reading towards the end of this thread

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=93976&pid=897629&st=0&#entry897629

ie... undo mount to see if that cures problem, if so replace

Corgi
09-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks keelstow, you've been really helpful :) not least with the links. I'm now considering changing the rear mount after hearing of your experience.

For further info, I've just tried out some Forte diesel treatment on my 1.9D and it's made a fair improvement to its smoothness. I've also took some other advice from this forum about BP Ultimate diesel fuel and have found that using it has made my Polo more responsive and perkier in getting going :) Can't say it's like an Turbo Nitrous GTi running on methanol, but it has made an improvement :)