PDA

View Full Version : beetle suspension knock clonk

ZIPPYB
09-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Hello people

I have just bought my wife a w reg 2000 Beetle, it has a very noticeable clonk on the front end, sometimes it seems to be on the N/S and sometimes on the O/S and sometimes central, all seems secure bushes look ok no apparent leaks on the struts.
Have any of you had anything similar??

Captain Answer
09-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Hello people

I have just bought my wife a w reg 2000 Beetle, it has a very noticeable clonk on the front end, sometimes it seems to be on the N/S and sometimes on the O/S and sometimes central, all seems secure bushes look ok no apparent leaks on the struts.
Have any of you had anything similar??

Track rod balljoints or suspension top mounts has been the devil when i've had these in the past

ZIPPYB
17-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I have eventually got around to changing the Front struts and top mounts and....................... its still the same, I was convinced the noise was from the top of the strut area but it would appear not. It also seems quieter after a few miles suggesting weak struts but alas not.
Time to look deeper anyone had similar problems and could offer advice ? Cheers

turbobugger
18-02-2008, 09:32 PM
The bearings in my CV axle went bad because there was a rip in the rubber boot one time. I heard the some serious noise while turning or backing up.

pipvwcars
27-02-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm assuming the beetle in question is a 2002 ish model, in which case i would have a bet on the front anti-roll bar D bushes, only when replacing the bushes you have to fit modified brackets also, as the old brackets bend in the middle, causing the bushes to wear quicker.

Crasher
27-02-2008, 11:18 PM
ARB would be my bet, I did one today on an Octavia which is the same part.