PDA

View Full Version : TDi Polo air filter change??

zetectdci
09-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Hello- Folks

I thought I'd change the air filter this weekend but on opening the bonnet the housing was not obvious. Had a rummage around and it looks like it may be tucked away under the drivers wheelarch at the front.
Is this where it is? What is required to change the filter and how easy is it.?
I'm guessing that wheel removal and plastic liner needs removed but what next?

Please excuse my ignorance as I've not had much experience working on my polo. Car is a 2000 1.4 TDi SE

Any guidance is appreciated

Cheers- Calum

Crasher
09-12-2007, 03:11 PM
It is accessed from below by removing the bottom of the casing and it drops down so the car needs to be raised.

colinallcars
18-02-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm trying to do the same job. I've found the filter but how do you get access to the two front screws? The front bumper is in the way - surely you don't have to remove it?

Crasher
18-02-2008, 02:40 PM
You just remove them!

colinallcars
18-02-2008, 03:57 PM
But there are 4 screws holing the bottom of the casing to the top - two next to the wheel arch lining (which I've removed) and two at the front, the problem ones! Can you remove the whole casing from the car then undo these screws? If so, How is it done? Thanks in advance.

Crasher
18-02-2008, 04:57 PM
I use a ¼” drive ratchet and cross head screw driver attachment.

colinallcars
22-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Success at last! I removed the fog light and its surround, this let me get the ratchet in but it was slow progress (and skinned knuckles) owing to the limited space available. The element looked like it had never been changed in 90K miles. Torx screws by the way.

hairnet
04-03-2009, 08:50 PM
we came to do this and oil on 01 tdi

oil no prob fuel easy

air filter was a PITA

thank you to this forum lol