PDA

View Full Version : Grille badge ?

OldAlfaOwner
08-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Hi all,

Just a quickie. Does anyone know if the 'GT' Grille badge will fit into a normal grille. I have a 2.0 GT FSI and thought It would be a nice little addition.

Many thanks.

Nicks
10-12-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that your gt should have a gt badge as standard!? ask your vw garage they'll tell ya and they can order it for you to.

Ben
10-12-2007, 09:38 PM
i have an early gt.

sadly no gt badges anywhere:(

OldAlfaOwner
10-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi All, Thanks for the posts.

I actually have a Mk5 GT TDI now not a FSI (Long story) but basically I was just about to buy the FSI when a super deal on a TDI came up and I couldnt resist - wow what a car !

Anyway It is a Nov 2004 GT TDI and has no GT badges on and I feel a bit cheated - LOL

So does anyone know if the GT front grille badge will fit ok ?

thanks all

BarneyBoy
11-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi All, Thanks for the posts.

I actually have a Mk5 GT TDI now not a FSI (Long story) but basically I was just about to buy the FSI when a super deal on a TDI came up and I couldnt resist - wow what a car !

Anyway It is a Nov 2004 GT TDI and has no GT badges on and I feel a bit cheated - LOL

So does anyone know if the GT front grille badge will fit ok ?

thanks all

If you have the grille with the Jetta/R32 type slats (2 pairs of horizontal slats), there's no reason to assume that the standard GT or GT Sport badge won't fit. It has 2 barbs that sit on top of the lower of the upper slats and another that hooks to the upper one. Piece of cake to fit or remove once you know how.

OldAlfaOwner
11-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi,

No it just has the standard grille :(

can the afore mentioned grille jetta/r32 grille be fitted easily or is it complete front end change like the Gti ?

thanks

BarneyBoy
12-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi,

can the afore mentioned grille jetta/r32 grille be fitted easily or is it complete front end change like the Gti ?

thanks

Here's a couple of pics of the badge both in & out of the grille. It may help.

As far as the replacement of your grille goes, as you can see from the pics, the GT, Jetta and GTI all use similar components. The GT uses a plain black Jetta/R32 grille with a GTI style centre bumper section (yes, it's a separate part) and a Jetta lower & outer grilles (but with fogs std). The R32 only shares the centre grille component with the GT & Jetta (correct me if I'm wrong here, anyone).

The rest of the Golf range uses an entirely different all in one bumper with a small grille. If this is what you have, then I'm afraid you'd be screwed - it'll mean the whole hog replacement. There's any number of sites where OEM and OEM-style bits can be had for this task.

Good luck :p

Ben
12-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi,

thanks

sorry mate, the grille that we have on out gt's is different to that of the newer gt's, it change, you would need to do the front end conversion - see the how to section for this guide.

BarneyBoy
13-12-2007, 11:21 AM
sorry mate, the grille that we have on out gt's is different to that of the newer gt's, it change, you would need to do the front end conversion - see the how to section for this guide.

You got more GT models than the Mark 5 GT and GT Sport? :confused:
What year are you talking? Any pics?

Ben
13-12-2007, 08:14 PM
both examples are demonstrated in the conversion how to, as the guy converts from the original (older) look to the newer (better) look.

GT140
14-12-2007, 04:06 PM
The question is don't you think it will look a bit cheesy with a non-standard badge??

If you really want to do it you will need to modify the bracket or glue it on.

davidsonyvaio
25-05-2008, 11:43 AM
dose anyone know a part code for a gt sport badge, went to the main vw dealer and they said he could not get me one as he could not find them on his computer:zx11:

BarneyBoy
25-05-2008, 01:31 PM
dose anyone know a part code for a gt sport badge, went to the main vw dealer and they said he could not get me one as he could not find them on his computer:zx11:

That VAG parts computer system is absolutely designed for nitwits.
If the guy on the keyboard is a deadsh!t, exactly what you were told dribbles from their gob.
Let me guess, he said "what's your VIN number?" and then "oh, there IS no GT Sport badge for your car". You say "No, no, I want a GT Sport badge, I KNOW there normally isn't one for my car" He says "Well I can't find it then" &c, &c 'til you finally storm out, knowing that if you stay you may end up on a manslaughter charge... :aargh4:

Either ask for an entirely new deadsh!t (sometimes the 2nd one is better), or see if one of the folks on the forum with a GT Sport will PM you their VIN number. Armed with that, you can go visit your local deadsh!t, give them the bodgey VIN and you're on your way! Best of luck!