PDA

View Full Version : Golf getting wet inside...

4001bass
08-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi, This is my first posting and I guess like many I’m here for help as I just can’t get my head around a problem that has been getting worse over the past year.

We have a 2001 Golf, model 1900 S TDI. The problem is that we are getting very wet mat wells. All the mat wells are affected and it varies from just one up to all four or no particular hierarchy! This problem has been doing my head in for almost a year. The seals and gaskets look OK, though the felt covered one that runs along the length of the car always seem to be very porous and wet.

The car get wet overnight when is parked so I guess it can’t be getting in from under the floor. One day it could be just one the rear mats that is wet, the next maybe one front and one rear.

I’m guessing that we have a seal that has broken down, or maybe a few.

I’m sure the wise folk here will have seen all this before; you have no idea how delighted I would be if we can solve this mystery.

Bob :beerchug:

Paul Jay
08-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Bob

This is a common problem and leaks can be from a number of sources.

Firstly, do you have a sunroof? If so, the drainage channels from these frequently get blocked and cause all manner of problems.

It could also be the seal around the pollen filter which is located under the scuttle panel - you'll see 3 retaining screws on the right hand side (as you look) with the bonnet raised. If the seals have perished this will let a lot of water in.

It could be the seals around the inner door panels. My Bora sometimes leaks past the passenger side door seal too, depending on the weather conditions!

Also check the seals around the vents behind the rear bumper (you'll need to remove the bumper for this) as if they have perished, it lets water into the boot and it often runs under the back seat and into the floor wells.

It's amazing how much water actually gets in, but VW's are far from watertight. Passats seem to be particularly vulnerable and even the Eos is known to leak from new.

Hope you manage to sort it.

Cheers

Paul