PDA

View Full Version : 1998 GT TDI 110 drive failure

bluetwo
22-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi, first post here.

I have a '98 TDI 110. It has done 185K miles. Last week the front wheels locked up when changing down to third.

With the clutch depressed the engine was still running by the time i stopped. Had to be towed off the sliproad. Engine starts and runs fine, the car can be rolled, but something is a bit loose and causes it to lock up/judder.

Which part of the drive might this be?

You can still put it in gear, and it feels normal, not loose or like porridge etc.

It can be driven in reverse (very slowly/cautiously) it will go forward in first (very slowly), but there is a judder/lock/jerk where the wheels lock and then free.

The car has been fully serviced by a VW dealer for the whole of its life (am i the mug).

The question is: is it worth repairing (quoted £1100 for a replacement box fitted), and is it likely to have damaged the rest of the drive train.

Its a shame, still getting 55+ to the gallon, using no oil between services...

Advice welcome!

bluetwo
29-09-2006, 09:17 AM
help! any ideas on this? What would you estimate the value of the car if i had a new box fixed? (185k miles, rest of vehicle seems sound, body work 'used' car park dinks here and there).

Cheers,

Blue

onzarob
29-09-2006, 11:19 AM
I would shop around for a quote. I would say a second hand gearbox would be the best option if the gearbox is at fault.

I would get an independant mechanic to examine the car properly, it could be a drive shaft CV joint or bearing, the gear lever wouldn't indicate to much, only selector issues.

You say the rest of drive train, which equates to drive shafts cv joints and bearing, not much outside the gearbox really.

If the gearbox is suspected faulty You wont really know what wrongs without taking the box out it could be something straight forward or full on. eg bearing faluire in box, rebuild/replacement required.

No one can say whats actully wrong with the gearbox without looking inside the and seeing what needs to be fixed!!!

On the resale value of your car, Its not worth very much with this fault, worth more to you.

On the VW Service History, yes you are right to get it done properly, remember its done 185000 trouble free miles, not bad really.

Hope this helps

Rob :D

bluetwo
29-09-2006, 05:03 PM
cheers onzarob, figured that would probably be the case ('...worth more to you') and unfortunately it is no use to us as a local runaround as it's not big enough for the family. And i'm not sure how many 400 miles a week weeks it may have left in the rest of it...