PDA

View Full Version : MK3 1.8L SE - Braking Issue

BugBit
06-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I have a mk3 1.8L SE 1997, front disks and back drums (no ABS I think), which has developed a problem when braking hard. All seems fine when I am braking normally but as soon as I have to stand on the brakes suddenly (sometimes in motorway traffic as you do), the brake pedal goes hard and the car feels like it will never stop. Very scary!! :scared: Pads and shoes are ok, just went through MOT a few weeks ago. Any ideas what could be going wrong?

Crasher
06-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Hello and welcome. That sounds like either a loss of servo assistance or poor quality pads. Does the engine idle poorly?

BugBit
07-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Hi Crasher. It has started idling poorly lately but only when it is cold. I just put that down to cold/wet weather?

Crasher
07-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Check the short angled rubber hose from the inlet manifold to the servo on the runner for cylinder four; it is probably split underneath where you can't see it.

BugBit
07-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Just had a quick look at that rubber hose. Small cracks appearing on hose bend - in fact whole hose looks a bit tired and perishing. Will replace it this weekend and let you know. Thanks m8.

BugBit
10-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Hose was slit exactly were you suggested Crasher. Replaced it and I have my brakes and idling back to normal. Thanks for your help - great forum - guys on here know their stuff.