PDA

View Full Version : Dreadful Economy on a 2 litre TDi

rickf
06-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Has anyone spotted just how bad fuel economy on the 2 litre TDi is?
On the old 90 BHP, 46 MPG was easily attainable. On the 115BHP 43, on the 130BHP 41MPG with effort.
On the two litre if I get 38 on mixed condition driving it's a cause for celebration. I know the latest car is heavier, has curtain airbags, is Euro 4 etc etc but it seems that for every environmental development we pay at the pumps.
VW ought to be capable of better. Perhaps that is why common rail is on the way.
Unless I'm missing something!
By the way tyre pressures are correct, the air filter clean, I run on Texaco and use Millers ( no effect at all ).
Any thoughts?

BlackSmoke
30-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Has anyone spotted just how bad fuel economy on the 2 litre TDi is?

Yes - My dad replaced his 1.9 with a 2.0 and was shocked at the worse mpg for an extra 100cc :eek: (Me too when I borrow his car and have to pay for the fuel!!)

Currently looking at a "re-map" to give more power, but from previous experience, if driven "normally", it should return better fuel consumption. (I assume higher gears at lower speeds causes the gains?!)

So ... perhaps try looking around for a remap or tuning-box.

dod1e
30-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Not sure exactly where and how you're driving, but those figures are well below average. I get over 50mpg easily unless im pushing pretty hard.

If you are sitting in traffic with the engine ticking over for long periods this seems to have the worst effect on overall economy in my experience

amac01
22-04-2009, 10:57 PM
I have recently bought a 2.0TDi 06 and am also disappointed by the fuel economy, especially in town. I get around 42mpg out of town on mixed A roads and motorways but not much over 30 on short trips in town. Economy seems particularly poor while the engine is warming up. The car has just been serviced and I'm using Millers XFE-PD. Are any fuel treatments worth trying?

Mr_Rob
10-07-2009, 07:55 PM
I have recently bought a 2.0TDi 06 and am also disappointed by the fuel economy, especially in town. I get around 42mpg out of town on mixed A roads and motorways but not much over 30 on short trips in town. Economy seems particularly poor while the engine is warming up. The car has just been serviced and I'm using Millers XFE-PD. Are any fuel treatments worth trying?

I get the same from my '06 140 Stylance ... though I have been able to improve local/town mpg to 40+ and A Road / Motorway to 48 if I drive very very gently (at night when I wont get in any ones way) and and dont let the revs rise above 2200 rpm ... just where the touque comes in :mad: ... but that was just to prove to myself that it could be done and driving "style" IS the biggest factor in MPG.

I got 55 Mpg on a 100 like trip North the Newcastle with a strong tailwind ... and 32 Mpg on the way home. Both on a clear A1 at "Motorway Speeds".

Seems to me that the 2.0 TDI 140 engine lacks low down torque if the 1.9's and therefore needs to be driven more like a petrol engine, needing more revs to pull the Alhambra up to speed, this probably ruins the MPG.

In the real world I was expecting 40/45 mpg overall when I bought the car 3 years ago and I get about 36/42 from "enthusiastic" driving ...

I just wish the Alhambra had more front end grip (or 4Wd) so didn't spin away all that lovely torque when it eventually comes on song ... (but that's off topic) :biglaugh:

wyndham
13-07-2009, 08:29 PM
I have just had to replace my '57 Stylance with a new one as my old one was written off in an accident. I averaged around 43 MPG overall which included short journeys and motorway runs. I am currently only getting around 38 mpg and that is driving steady. My new one has only covered 1200 miles so I am hoping it will improve dramatically once it loosens up.