PDA

View Full Version : MAF problems again???????

jockio
06-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Hello I’m knew to the forum and just have a quick question for you. I have a 1994 A6 2.8Q petrol which is running nice apart from an intermittent fault……don’t you just love them. It’s been into the garage where they stuck their little box under the bonnet and told me it needed a crank angle sensor and a knock sensor. So lighter in the pocket I got the car back and hey presto the same problems a few days later. Took it back plugged it in again and it said crank angle sensor and knock sensor again, scratched his head and didn’t know what to say…..needless to say he didn’t put my old ones back on or give me a refund.
Reading through all the threads though it appears that I might have a problem with the MAF. My symptoms are cutting out, difficulty starting, erratic idle etc. They are all very intermittent faults and I can be driving down the motorway for 3 hours then it’ll cut out, dip the clutch and it’ll catch, cough and splutter a few times (sometimes I need to be coasting down the hard shoulder whilst doing this) then drive for another few weeks without a glitch. Occasionally starting is a pain it will fire, idle, die - ten or twenty times then start and run like it was having a laugh albeit in a cloud of smoke.

Throughout these threads they say to disconnect it and the engine runs in ‘limp’ mode. If I disconnect it however the engine dies and will not restart until it is reconnected.

The question is…..is this normal for this particular model? If not could anyone give me an idea of why it is doing it? Could anyone point to something else that it might be other the MAF.

H-M3
09-12-2007, 01:19 AM
I had very similar problem on my beemer it turned out to be my crank sensor. It is worth while getting that checked and the cam snsor too.

hth

jockio
10-12-2007, 06:36 AM
Cheers for that dude. I have had the crank angle sensor changed already but will look at the cam sensor now.