PDA

View Full Version : mk4 Golf TDi 130 bhp - turbo prob???

ulsterfry
06-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi all,

My 51 plate mk 4 Golf (GT TDi 130bhp) is playing up... This morning (was nearly are normal temp, but not quite) it pulled normally using the turbo thru 1st and 2nd but when I put my foot down in 3rd it seems like the turbo didn't kick in, same in 4th when I changed up. It carried on until I got stuck in traffic and turned it off and back on again. Then it was back to normal.

It's on 95k and has just been serviced, about 2 weeks ago and has been behaving normally since I bought it 3 months ago.

Any thoughts, should I be worried or is it just a temporary glitch...??? :confused:

chris.fulton
06-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Could be a number of things and the best way to find out what exactly it is would be to get the ECU fault codes scanned using Vag-Com or some sort of diagnostics equipment. The most common causes of a problem like this are a faulty MAF or a problem with the turbo. If you get the fault codes read and nothing shows up then its most likely the MAF. If boost pressure codes come up then its a turbo or associated part problem. Hopefully it'll just be the MAF which is fairly cheap and easy to replace, turbo problems are more expensive and more compilcated to fix. Try putting your foot down in first and second gear until your almost at the rev counter red line. This will clear out some soot which could be causing your turbo vanes to stick.

Welcome to the forum by the way

chris.fulton
06-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Have a look at this thread as well, it's pretty similar to the problem you're having

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19632

ulsterfry
07-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks for your replies Chris although, curiously, this problem seems to have disappeared, can't say I'm that upset about it!!!

jasonchat
12-03-2010, 07:29 PM
i had turbo problems,it cut out and came back after restarting the engine,turns out the vanes on the turbo get carboned up which cuts the turbo off via the ecu,the garage used innotec turbo cleaner which breaks down the carbon and cleans the turbo,i now have no problems,it cost £80 including labour,well happy

producedapples
15-03-2010, 10:39 AM
if there's no EML/MIL flashing, id point at the MAF meter, it doesnt bring up any fault codes, and needs to be diagnosed using live data reading, one way to try is by unplugging the MAF meter, as it will use default values, try driving around giving it some beans... if its fine, its that, no need to book in with main dealer, just make saure you buy the genuine part as pattern parts on MAFs are p1$$ poor. takes 10 mins, just unscrew it, replace it, screw back on..done

jasonchat
29-03-2010, 05:51 PM
thanks for your advice mate,appreciated