PDA

View Full Version : Poor fuel consumption

billperk
05-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Fed up with poor fuel consumption on my 1.9 TDi Superb: around 28 - 30mpg overall. I don't understand why some websites and reviews quote 31, while others suggest 48.7 as a combined figure. Any thoughts or experiences??

Crasher
06-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Very poor consumption but is this just what the overall consumption reading on the dash is or have you backed this up with a brim to brim test?

billperk
06-12-2007, 03:36 AM
Thanks for prompt reply, Crasher. Afraid even on brim to brim, we're looking at 15 - 16p per mile, which is way above what my Octavia Tdi (42 - 44 mpg for similar conditions) has been giving me. When I bought the Superb I didn't realise the difference would be so great. Perhaps I shouldn't have believed the figures in the reviews!

Gizmo68
09-01-2008, 08:26 PM
I used to get 60+ mpg out of my 110 TDi Octavia
I now get about 48 mpg in my 130 TDi Superb, so your high fuel consumption isn't confined to just your Superb.
Do you live in a very hilly area? or are they very short trips?
It seems strange that you are constantly getting around 20 mpg less than what i can always achieve.

billperk
11-01-2008, 04:46 AM
I used to get 60+ mpg out of my 110 TDi Octavia
I now get about 48 mpg in my 130 TDi Superb, so your high fuel consumption isn't confined to just your Superb.
Do you live in a very hilly area? or are they very short trips?
It seems strange that you are constantly getting around 20 mpg less than what i can always achieve.

Maybe I should have said it's a taxi, but just the same, from 44 on the Octavia to around 30mpg on the Superb is still quite a drop, eh?

stephen.grimes
14-01-2008, 02:02 AM
My experiences of Fuel consumption

I had a vw passat (Sport TDI 110 BHP - 5 speed gearbox) from 2000 to mid 2007. On a frequently made 60 mile journey involving about 50 miles at a constant 70mph I would achieve 52 to 55 mpg. On one occasion involving a 100 mile journey, I achieved an all time record (for me) figure of 72mpg by keeping my constant speed to just below 60mph (about 2000 revs - just below the turbo kicking in)

Since mid 2007 I have a skoda superb with a 2.0 TDI PD engine (140 BHP - 6 speed gearbox). On the 60 mile frequently made journey the maximum mpg achieved is 51 - but more normally 46 mpg

The extra BHP of the skoda does make a difference in acceleration and is certainly quieter than the passat (which had done 140,000 miles). But I am not using the "extra" acceleration so I am disappointed by the drop in mpg):confused:

The skoda has done only 7000 miles since I got it whereas the Passat had done 16000 miles when I acquired it

Do these engines get better after a longer run in period???

Crasher
15-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Yes, the consumption improves with age.

DoozyDave
02-02-2009, 10:48 PM
With my 2.0L 140PD I do 70 miles a day and regularly get a average exceeding 50 mpg but that is driving conservatively. When driving more spiritedly, about 44 mpg. Even round town if doing more than 10 miles, the ave mpg is rarely below 37.

My only concern is that the Superb sometimes runs like I'd pulled a manual choke out and the mpg would halve. It would only be for 10 minutes max. It happens maybe a couple of times a month. The dealer cannot offer a suggestion as to why my car does this. It has continued to happen even though for the last six months I have been putting in the expensive grade diesel.

Other forums suggest it is the particulate filter doing something. I don't know what it is it has to do but it seems to be designed into the car. Maybe someone can explain.

Overall, really pleased with the Superb.

Rescueman989
07-02-2009, 05:38 PM
I have the Superb 2 2.0 170bhp CR Tdi DSG.
This has a self clean mode for the DPF built in. This vehicle has a warning light for the DPF, if this comes on you can regenerate the DPF manually if the light fails to go out the vehicle must be taken to a dealer who can force the regeneration.
Instuctions should be in the handbook. More fuel is injected to increase the temperature in the DPF to burn off the deposits, this causes quite a drop in fuel economy.VW have issued specific driving instructions for vehicles fitted with a DPF. See https://www.tuskerdirect.com/cgi-bin/view_article.cgi?artc_id=5480