PDA

View Full Version : Can you connect a sub to rcd300

s21deg
05-12-2007, 10:27 PM
MK5 1.9tdi - I would like to hookup a subwoofer to my rcd300, Can this be done or would i have to replace the head unit?
I would prefer to keep the original as i have just ordered a vw usb interface for the head unit,
Any help would be great thanks.

ebyrahim
10-12-2007, 04:19 PM
MK5 1.9tdi - I would like to hookup a subwoofer to my rcd300, Can this be done or would i have to replace the head unit?
I would prefer to keep the original as i have just ordered a vw usb interface for the head unit,
Any help would be great thanks.

you can keep the head unit but you would need an amp to power the sub

s21deg
10-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Ebyrahim, I have an amp for the sub but i have been told the rcd 300 has no pre-outs (or does it?) therefore what do i attach the feed for the sub too?

Ben
10-12-2007, 09:32 PM
I can confirm that the RCD 300 has no pre outs.

BROWN_OWL
12-12-2007, 11:04 AM
there is a device around that converts normal speaker cables into the phono leads required to get a signal to the amp. i have an old one if you want it??

BROWN_OWL
12-12-2007, 11:05 AM
but then again you will have to be brave and possible cut the wires or even better get some scotch locks!!! no cutting of wires and very simple to achieve the desired effect

GT140
14-12-2007, 03:36 PM
I've installed a sub off my RCD300 using one of these http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/METRA_74_90003.html
Works like a dream and you don't have to cut wires.

You will probably have to pay import tax (I did) which made it around £75.

Quite expensive I know but worth it for me. I was looking not to cut my wires and keep the OEM look.

The other option would be an MFD2 which has line outs but you would need to make the cable yourself.

Ben
14-12-2007, 07:29 PM
this is interesting.

Does this unit inhibit the cd changer or ipod facility?

I have added this information yto the Audio Assistance thread.

prolfe
15-12-2007, 09:20 AM
I've installed a sub off my RCD300 using one of these http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/METRA_74_90003.html
Works like a dream and you don't have to cut wires.

You will probably have to pay import tax (I did) which made it around £75.

Quite expensive I know but worth it for me. I was looking not to cut my wires and keep the OEM look.

The other option would be an MFD2 which has line outs but you would need to make the cable yourself.

It looks like a Quadlock to Pre-outs. So if there is a quadlock there, then you just plug the changer/iPod connector into it.

I think i'm right in saying that the mk5 and the a3 have bass units with a built in 25w amp. So how would another amp fit in around this.

GT140
15-12-2007, 04:14 PM
"Does this unit inhibit the cd changer or ipod facility?"

No not at all.

You have to take the CD/ipod/USB connection out of the original connector and clip it in to the new one.

Very easy to do if your interested I can get you the part number for the wire you will need to get a remote +12v to switch the sub on.

GT140
15-12-2007, 04:21 PM
It looks like a Quadlock to Pre-outs. So if there is a quadlock there, then you just plug the changer/iPod connector into it.

I think i'm right in saying that the mk5 and the a3 have bass units with a built in 25w amp. So how would another amp fit in around this.

Yup you just plug what ever changer/iPod you've got into the new one.

I don't think the standard mk5 has any amps apart from the ones in the RCD300/RCD500/MFD2 unless you spec'd the "sound upgrade"

No clue about A3's i'm afraid I would imagine similar unless you went Bose?