PDA

View Full Version : Mk5 Gti TDI Exhaust Emissions Light & Diagnosis

Medic458
05-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi Guys

I am new to forum and wondered if any of can help me out abit

Recently the emissions light has come and i took the car in to VW to have a dianogsis test done

It came back with motor faulty and blown fuse? - req intake f

also part needed is INTSKR FLAP MOTOR £395!!!!!!!!!!!!

What has gone and why does it cost so much?

Any help/info greatly appreicated

Thanks

Chris

Ben
05-12-2007, 10:18 PM
i had this.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4028

oddly thats the 2nd time tonight i've referenced this.

how old is the car?

and welcome to the forum

Medic458
05-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks for your quick reply

The car is a 54 plate MK5 and we have had it since feb and it done at least 64000 miles i think

It was bought from Leicester Volkwagen as one of there Approved cars

Seems like i have the same problem as yourself but i dont think i have any warranty left as i have already tried to play that card and they said its not coverred under warrenty

have you got the part numbers for parts needed?

Chris

(PS i see you live in Coventry, I used to live there untill i bought a house in Nuneaton)

Ben
05-12-2007, 10:44 PM
what engine is it?

Medic458
05-12-2007, 10:47 PM
2.0 Diesel 140bhp

Ben
05-12-2007, 11:00 PM
to be honest - i didn't see any paperwork as i was covered.

been looking at www.vagcat.com (http://www.vagcat.com) i advise to register (no spam so you're safe) and take a browse, MK5 is tricky to find. its in the Golf/Variant/4Motionс 1998

section.

then just select the year and type of your car and reference the pictures and lists.

Its not rocket science.

Medic458
05-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks very much i have look on there

Thanks again

Chris

Ben
05-12-2007, 11:08 PM
alternativly, whip the engine cover off, the part is mounted front and centre to the engine and had a great big 4" ish hose coming off it. You might see the part number stamped on it.

Medic458
05-12-2007, 11:13 PM
I think i have found a part if anyone can verify it??

http://www.vagcat.com/p/B420/133300.png

I think it Part 2 Varible intake Manifold on this diagram if it works!!!

Ben
05-12-2007, 11:18 PM
now this is what i was looking at. I thought it would be number 18. (probably wrong though)

I see you're quite nifty with the old screen dump, crop and photobucket:D

Medic458
05-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Ah see what you mean i think it might be too!! trouble is a dont want to get the wrong part as they nearly £300!

I just used the forum insert image button and worked ok!

paultuk
04-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Hi,

I had the same problem. 04 2.0 GT TDi 43k. Emissions Workshop!!! Part cost £480 inc fitting from dealers. Common fault im told. Crappy VW quality again i'm afraid!!!

Let me know if you still need the part no.

:approve:

Medic458
05-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for your reply

Yes the part number would be handy if you still got it!

£480 thats not cheap and it would bloody happen on the run up to christmas!!

I have still been driving with it on and it seems fine but dont want to leave it too long!

paultuk
05-01-2008, 07:09 PM
The Part number on my invoice is 038128063G and the descriptin is "Flap".

They also charged me for 2 x Fuses at .43 +Vat cheapskates!!!!!

Total price inc labour 485.99!!

Just to top off my Saga with my VW Golf. Broke down last night. Smoke pouring out of the underneath of the car. No Turbo at all and wouldn't rev over 3500rpm. Then engine cut out and wouldnt restart. Towed to local dealers and left on their drive with a note on it saying wont start and smoke coming from engine. Awaiting a huge bill on Monday when they tell me the bad news.

Funny thing is i had it booked in to have the vehicle checked over as i'm thinking of purchasing a Warranty from VW. This car has been nothing but a pain in the A£$E. I'll never ever buy a VW again due to the crap i'v had to put up with.

List of Faults.

1. Diesel Cooler mount failing and allowing the cooler to scrape on the floor.
2. Emissions Workshop Light requiring new Flap motor and fuses.
3. Rear wiper and wash pump failing.
4. Driver Mirror indicator stopped working.
4. Driver Mirror underneath courtesy light stopped working.
5. Xenon light auto levelling system not working.
6. Turbo whining / whistling sound annoying the crap out of me. Sounds like a police siren!!
7. Smoke pouring out of the car now and now can't drive the bloody thing.
8. Filling the coolant reservoir every month!!!
9. Drivers Side Window one touch opening and closing no longer working.
10. Dashboard constantly creeks!!!
11. ESP light comes on and stays on randomly.
12. Air Con / Climate Control makes strange clicking / ticking noises from around the centre console area.

Think i must have had a car made on a Friday afternoon when the workers couldn't be ***** to put it together properly!!!

I have lost total faith in the VW brand and will be going back to BMW. Had 4 BMW's and never had any trouble with them whatsoever!! And BMW wash your car every service for free!!!

Rant over!!

Medic458
06-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Sound like you a raw deal in that car!! This is the first major thing to go wrong really and hopefully the last!!!

Thanks for the info and hope you get it all sorted with out too much trouble!!!

I ll keep this thread updated with how i get on

RichieG
07-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I'd be very interested to hear how you get on, as i had this fault appear before Xmas, but the light went away, so I've left it for now.....

silver38
10-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Have a look at this.

Technical solution

Transaction No.: 2005809/8
Warning lamp for exhaust system on, "fault 19558"

Release date: 30-Jan-2006
Problem description
Exhaust warning light on, the following fault is logged in the fault memory of the engine control unit:

19558 P3102 engine for intake manifold flap -V157 no signal
Cause
Faulty intake manifold flap V157.
Production solution
Optimised intake manifold flap.
Service solution

Check according to the "Guided fault finding".

The fuse (power supply for intake manifold flap and cooling fan) blows because of a faulty intake manifold flap. The cooling fans also run constantly. After replacing the intake manifold flap, check whether the fuse is correct.

Replace the intake manifold flap, even if no fault is found.
Accounting instructions
Service number/damage code/manufacturer: 2379 040 …..

RichieG
10-01-2008, 09:10 AM
So VW will replace the intake manifold flap whether it is faulty or not? Is that what you are suggesting?

Does anyone know if there is a risk of lasting damage if the intake flap is stuck in the open position? This means you get a bit of a shudder when you turn off the engine, but I can't see any real reason to spend £300 just to fix that.

paultuk
10-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Update on my Golf GT TDI 140.

VW Dealer phoned me and said i will need a new engine and turbo!!!!

Grand total of £5300!!!!

F$&K that!!!! Phoned my insurance who is collecting the car for inspection/repair.

Never buying a VW again!!!!

Ordered a BMW 130i M Sport in black.

Bye bye VW guys!!!

BuyanythingbutaVW
10-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Paultuk,

Sorry to hear about your car and all the problems you have had. Think you are making a very wise move in getting rid of your VW as my experience of them is that they are very poorly built too.

If you fancy it then I will play top trumps with you, you can have first pick on your fault if you want. For catergories how about value of repair, length of repair, how long the dealer took to fix the car (if they did) and how long you put up with the car.

Just as an example my car has had intermitent juddering / cutting out / faulty engine since 10,000 miles and still the dealer can't find out what it is. Car now on 50,000miles and so have had the fault for 40,000 miles or thereabouts. Dealer doesn't know and VW say it is probably just a 'characteristic of my car'. VW representative said each car had its own distinctive little oddity 's.

Looking to get rid of my car next year when the lease runs out and I will not be going back to VW for anymore punishment. Audi or beemer next me thinks. Had both before and found both to be good marques, but thought I'd save some money this time with a VW - what a mistake!

matt111074
11-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi,
This is not sounding like good news to me. I've just bought an '04 GT Tdi that had the emissions light illuminated. The dealer (non VW) said that they'd resolve that before I picked it up and low and behold it was out when I when to collect. As they were showing me round the car though I heard the "beep, beep" from the dash and the light was back on again!
Would VW do the diagnosic check for free, or what can I expect to pay?

Maybe should have gone for an A3 after all...

Thanks.

RichieG
11-01-2008, 01:36 PM
I think VW charge around £100 for a diagnostic check!!

Nicks
11-01-2008, 06:21 PM
100 pounds to hook it up to vag com? are you having a laugh!?

paultuk
11-01-2008, 07:37 PM
£100 is around the going rate i think?

I paid £82.25 for a fault check.

By the way thats per item!!!!

I asked my local VW dealer to check 2 things £164.50 bill.

I can't stress enough about a warranty. I'll never buy car without one again!!!

VW = *****!!!!!