PDA

View Full Version : New member looking for wheel advice

s21deg
05-12-2007, 10:08 PM
I have just bought a Black 1.9TDI MK5 Golf and am looking to fit 18" wheels, Am just wondering if i would have to lower the car as i have been told i may end up with the car sitting high with a massive gap under the wheel arch!
Is this true?
I am also unsure of what wheels would look best on the car i would prefer VW wheels or replicas any advice would be much appreciated and pics would be great too!
Cheers

Ben
05-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I think you a right in keeping the wheels VW. whether it be genuine or replica. 18's should fit no problem.

mustard
06-12-2007, 04:40 AM
I have just bought a Black 1.9TDI MK5 Golf and am looking to fit 18" wheels, Am just wondering if i would have to lower the car as i have been told i may end up with the car sitting high with a massive gap under the wheel arch!
Is this true?
I am also unsure of what wheels would look best on the car i would prefer VW wheels or replicas any advice would be much appreciated and pics would be great too!
Cheers

If you go for 225/40 R18 tyres, these are approximately the same external diameter as the originals (assume you have 16" wheels) then the gap will be near enough the same.

I have 18" BBS CH wheels on my Golf, it is the GT TDI so 15mm lower as standard. Don't think you can beat them, but expensive.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/artacoleman/DSC_3831-1.jpg

Ben
06-12-2007, 10:07 PM
That is a beautiful car. I love that blue. is it an 04 or 54 reg? that shade of blue is now only available on the R32. Is you lower rear bumper skirt black or have you painted it blue to match. If blue, please show a picture.

mustard
06-12-2007, 10:53 PM
That is a beautiful car. I love that blue. is it an 04 or 54 reg? that shade of blue is now only available on the R32. Is you lower rear bumper skirt black or have you painted it blue to match. If blue, please show a picture.

Thanks for the compliment, it was registered Mar 2004, so 04 plate. The colour is Laser Blue, now discontinued, but very similar to the R32 colour.

I replaced the rear valence (the black dimpled bit) with one from charactere and had it sprayed, makes the world of difference, although I do know that others have had the original smoothed and painted.

Best picture I have at present.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/artacoleman/Golf%20BBS/DSC_2839.jpg

s21deg
08-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info, Very nice car mustard
cheers.

Nicks
12-12-2007, 08:40 PM
haven't bbs gone bust?

mikolo
25-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi there mustard,

Just joined the forum and have a similar dilemma as s21deg with wheel options.

Your advice to him answers most of my questions but again has made me change my mind about what wheels to get and this was solely after I took a look at your beauty in colour. I have also been pondering the replica TT and quarto wheels.

Now I have been pulled to the ones you’ve got.
So my question I guess is:
1. As mine is a 56 1.6 fsi and as I gathered is higher than yours will the gap look odd?
2. Where did you get your wheels?
3. What did they £set you back?
PS: your car looks absolutely stunning!!!
Regards

Mikolo

mustard
25-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi there mustard,

Just joined the forum and have a similar dilemma as s21deg with wheel options.

Your advice to him answers most of my questions but again has made me change my mind about what wheels to get and this was solely after I took a look at your beauty in colour. I have also been pondering the replica TT and quarto wheels.

Now I have been pulled to the ones you’ve got.
So my question I guess is:
1. As mine is a 56 1.6 fsi and as I gathered is higher than yours will the gap look odd?
2. Where did you get your wheels?
3. What did they £set you back?
PS: your car looks absolutely stunning!!!
Regards

Mikolo

Mikola,

I fitted the Eibach Pro springs which will lower your car by 30mm, however because mine was 15mm lower to start with it only lowered it by 15mm. Fitted these as I was changing the dampers to Koni FSD. A great combination, improved ride and handling.
I got the wheels from ebay, £350 + £50 to deliver. Included tyres, but only two were any good, had to buy a centre cap, so with new tyres and bits and pieces probably cost me around £650. Bargain really.

Thanks for the compliment, I really like the colour and the BBS CH are classics.

The ride on 18s is fine, although I know some people prefer 17s. Either will look good and the lwering helps and has few if any drawbacks.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

Andy

mikolo
25-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanx for the quick response.
I’ve found a set of 18” on ebay (new apparently) for £1200 rather pricey I thought…
Anyway I think I’ll go ahead and get them then might think about lowering if it looks odd. I’m not took keen on fiddling with the setup and don’t want to void the warranty.

You think it will look right?

Thanx
Mikolo

mikolo
25-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanx for the quick response.
I’ve found a set of 18” on ebay (new apparently) for £1200 rather pricey I thought…
Anyway I think I’ll go ahead and get them then might think about lowering if it looks odd. I’m not took keen on fiddling with the setup and don’t want to void the warranty.

You think it will look right?

Thanx
Mikolo

mustard
26-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Mikola,

With the correct tyres the gap will be no different, in fact with wider wheels (and the same offset) the wheels will be closer to the wheel arches and so give a visual improvement.

Mine was out of warranty and I wanted to improve the ride quality which was the one issue I had with the car, Koni FSD dampers were recommended in VW Driver magazine, but reputed to raise the ride height slightly, so opted to lower at the same time.

Is the £1,200 with tyres? If so not a bad price, when I looked they were about £1,100 without tyres. Can't really go wrong with BBS CH. Post a picture if you get them.

Andy

s21deg
26-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Mikolo,
Look forward to see ing a pic of your car with new wheels, Before you get it lowered to see how it looks,
Good Luck.

mikolo
26-12-2007, 02:32 PM
No tyres just 4 new rims, I think I’ll get a set of wider tyres to avoid messing around with the suspention as much as possible so will have to do some homework once I’m ready to fit them.

I’ll send the pixs as soon as they are on but it might take a while depending on the costs involved.

On 2nd thoughts I'll have to stick to a budget so I might just wait around until the right ones turn up.

set of 4 BBS CH025 8x18 et50 5x112 for £1199
http://i17.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/aa/07/5304_2.JPG

mikolo
26-12-2007, 02:34 PM
No tyres just 4 new rims, I think I’ll get a set of wider tyres to avoid messing around with the suspention as much as possible so will have to do some homework once I’m ready to fit them.

I’ll send the pixs as soon as they are on but it might take a while depending on the costs involved.

On 2nd thoughts I'll have to stick to a budget so I might just wait around until the right ones turn up.

http://i17.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/aa/07/5304_2.JPGset of 4 BBS CH025 8x18 et50 5x112 for £1199

mikolo
26-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi there s21deg,
No worries, I’ll keep you posted just not sure how long it will take me though.
The set I found on ebay is very much over my budget so I’ll have to wait a bit.
I hope something around the £600 mark will turn up cuz that my limit.