PDA

View Full Version : mk5 golf boot badge

nug402
04-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi
I've just bought a mk5 golf but the boot badge is discoloured (looks like patch of white corosion). VW suggest I need a whole new boot lever unit (big bucks) However, does anyone know if its possible to just replace the badge. For example, it looks very similar to the old Mk4 boot badge. Not sure if the old one prizes off or not, but want to make sure before I try.
any help/pointed welcome,
thanks

aidanjaye
05-12-2007, 12:50 AM
check on fleabay - get a used one cheap.

aidanjaye
05-12-2007, 01:03 AM
In fact, heres one on ebay at moment.

Ebay No. 330195389812

Nicks
05-12-2007, 09:43 AM
get vw to warrant it! corrosion init!!! tell them you are disgusted! I wouldn't mess around you need the real thing other wise it will look dump!

It seems to be a common thing have a look at other mk5's over 3years.

120 squid from vw to replace.

Nicks
05-12-2007, 09:46 AM
ebay!! looks okay just ask if it's absolute mint condition..

nug402
05-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks, looks like this may be a common fault then, although not sure what causes it - the surface is immaculate, just something under the laminate appears to be spreading.
Cheers for advise, will try and chase up a knew boot mechanism

aidanjaye
05-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Point to note - Golf alloys are prone to same ****, something (water??) under the surface of the lacquer - strange>

nug402
06-12-2007, 09:14 AM
yeah, ive noticed the centre caps of my alloys going the same way, not good for a 3 yr old car!

Ben
06-12-2007, 10:04 PM
i also have white ingress under the top coat of my tailgate badge/handle.

RichieG
07-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Me too :(

richwig83
07-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Yup me too.... white marks under the clear coating of the badge... and on all of the alloy centre caps.

My car is still under warranty what so you recon my chances are???

aidanjaye
07-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Worth a try - after all, thats what the warranty is for.

Nicks
08-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Hell yeah!! bloody germans are rolling in your cash!! I should know I'm german!:biglaugh:

BuyanythingbutaVW
08-12-2007, 05:14 PM
The centre caps on my alloys have been replaced twice by VW dealers (under warranty) and the third set have now gone the same way as the first two sets. The alloy wheels have now joined in as well and look well shabby too. Various areas of white staining evident under the alloys - not good on a two year old car.

On a more positive note the boot badge isn't corroding yet - not holding my breath though.

k9max
08-12-2007, 07:41 PM
yeah, ive noticed the centre caps of my alloys going the same way, not good for a 3 yr old car!

same here, and my car's nearly 3 yrs old too.

ebyrahim
10-12-2007, 04:14 PM
my alloys also have that white corrosion stuff, is there any way to get it off?

eby

paultuk
04-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Hi all,

I'm on my fourth set of wheel caps!!!!! Local dealers say VW are well aware of the problem but no design change is planned!! They blame jet pressure washers at your local eastern european car wash disused petrol stations!!

My replacement boot release though cost me £70 from the ********. Fitted it myself in minutes. Straight swap out for my old release mechanism. The replacement design is much better as the VW emblem is raised not encased in the clear resin like the old style. Have a look at any golf after 05 reg and you'll see what i mean!

If you need the part no let me know and i'll dig out the invoice. :approve:

Paul

BarneyBoy
04-01-2008, 02:16 AM
The centre caps on my alloys have been replaced twice by VW dealers (under warranty) and the third set have now gone the same way as the first two sets. The alloy wheels have now joined in as well and look well shabby too. Various areas of white staining evident under the alloys - not good on a two year old car.

Do you use a spray product to clean your wheels? Maybe it's the wheel cleaner you're using? There's some nasty stuff in some of them. It seems a bit strange that you're on your 3rd set of a pretty ordinary item. There's obviously something attacking the adhesive under the clear coat of the centre cap. We make stuff for the car industry at work, and how this adhesive performs is usually the most worrysome aspect of production. The oxidising is a common trait of adhesive breakdown.

I'd be more concerned about the alloys, however. If you are using a product to clean them, recheck the back label carefully.

paul davey
04-01-2008, 06:48 PM
correct me if im wrong but golf surface is guaranted against corrosion, let the warranty pick up the bill.

BuyanythingbutaVW
04-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Barney Boy,

Just to let you know what I told the dealership when they asked a similar question. I told the service bloke that generally I wash the car in a new miracle product called water. I told him that on occassions I used Turtlewax car shampoo as well if the car had been good and hadn't broken down. All parts have since been replaced under warranty no questions asked. May try and get the alloys replaced as well, but it is a company car so not that bothered if they say no.

Never used any alloy wheel cleaning solutions or harsh cleaning products and have just accepted that in my experience that VW nowadays just use poor quality parts for their cars. I've said it before and I'll say it again this was my first and last ever VW - unless a good classic camper or bug comes along. Like my grandad used to say 'they don't build cars like they used to'.

BarneyBoy
05-01-2008, 03:31 AM
Barney Boy,

Just to let you know what I told the dealership when they asked a similar question. I told the service bloke that generally I wash the car in a new miracle product called water. I told him that on occassions I used Turtlewax car shampoo as well if the car had been good and hadn't broken down. All parts have since been replaced under warranty no questions asked. May try and get the alloys replaced as well, but it is a company car so not that bothered if they say no.

Never used any alloy wheel cleaning solutions or harsh cleaning products and have just accepted that in my experience that VW nowadays just use poor quality parts for their cars. I've said it before and I'll say it again this was my first and last ever VW - unless a good classic camper or bug comes along. Like my grandad used to say 'they don't build cars like they used to'.

Water, eh? Well there's yer problem :biglaugh:

I don't doubt you're being careful, it just comes as a bit of a shock with the wheels - not the caps - they could be Chinese for all I know. I understand that BBS are a principal Level 1 supplier to VW, and their products are legendary for their quality. And here in Australia our water is pretty hard (minerally) and I've yet to hear of any wheel complaints like has been mentioned by many of those above.

You have a GT TDI with Classixs? Same as mine. Your car would've been built in Germany, mine in South Africa. Can't imagine they've sourced them from 2 different locations. It makes no sense, really. But I guess I'm not telling you anything you don't already know!

Nicks
05-01-2008, 11:52 AM
well if you look at how the economy is running in germany at the moment then it could explain why they are cutting corners with certain things on the vw.. . I used to own a old school merc, my friends called it the panzer! it was probably the best car I have ever had and it cost me just ₤2500, 6 years later I sold it for ₤2000. i think i might get another one....

Ben
10-01-2008, 07:32 PM
i also have white ingress under the top coat of my tailgate badge/handle.

I'm getting this sorted while they deal with this http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=113551&posted=1#post113551

Ben
11-01-2008, 06:00 PM
this should be done now, collecting the car tomorrow.

richwig83
30-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Got my alloys caps sorted today, and its going in on monday for the boot badge.

Although it will fix the shabby looking badge, the newer ones don't look as good as the older ones!

LenF
30-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Someone nicked my badge! Got a replacement with mechanism off ebay. Any tips/advice on how to get tailgate liner off - I am wary of cracking/splitting the brittle plastic!
Cheers

richwig83
30-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Someone nicked my badge! Got a replacement with mechanism off ebay. Any tips/advice on how to get tailgate liner off - I am wary of cracking/splitting the brittle plastic!
Cheers

I think there are 2 torx screws in the grab handles in the liner.... if should then carefully pull off

Ben
30-03-2009, 06:00 PM
i removed mine when accessing electrics for towbar.

boy did i swaer.

LenF
03-07-2009, 09:10 PM
I had mine vandalised, got a new one off ebay but am unsure how to remove boot tailgate liner.
Any tips?

coyney79
04-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi
I've just bought a mk5 golf but the boot badge is discoloured (looks like patch of white corosion). VW suggest I need a whole new boot lever unit (big bucks) However, does anyone know if its possible to just replace the badge. For example, it looks very similar to the old Mk4 boot badge. Not sure if the old one prizes off or not, but want to make sure before I try.
any help/pointed welcome,
thanks

i brought a 55 plate Golf GT nearly 3 months back from a dealership, but before i did, i insisted that they replace the boot badge which looked smudged and corroded.

I told the salesman that it would “pi55 me off” every time I looked at it, so if he wanted the sale, he'd need to replace the boot badge. After the obligatory visit to the manager :biglaugh: the salsman agreed

DUMBODOGGY
11-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Its all caused by tfr (traffic film remover) that valeter's use. its a mild form of acid but can be lethal on plastic chrome and high gloss black trims, they also spray it onto your alloys which causes the centre caps to white over....

SIGMAN
14-07-2009, 09:04 PM
:confused:
We are not alone, got MK5 Golf Oct 2005, Bumber badge and all wheel badges showing signs of corrosion under laminate. Seems new models dont use same badges. I think there is moisture under the badge laminate. This will go well with my ESP problem next week!!

doobs
14-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Is there any way of "sealing" these badges/caps to ensure they don't get too bad?

SIGMAN
14-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Not that I know off. Mine are too far gone anyway. Another VW problem they should address.

marcoleary
15-07-2009, 09:05 PM
:mad:

I've just had all wheel centers replaced under warrenty. The hubs were all badly blistered. The car is less than 2 years old and been cleaned weekly without fail.