PDA

View Full Version : A4 Avant 2.0tdi Air Con 'Gale Force' Issue

KLT
04-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I've got a brand new A4 Avant 2.0tdi SE 170. All is well apart from the air con unit which seems to be a direct vent to outside.
Simply put, as I accelerate, the rate and strength of the incoming air increases also. When I slow down, it also goes down. I've tried all settings on the speed of the fan, temperature, auto and manual and nothing changes this issue. If the fan is on one bar and I accelerate it ends up gusting through at the same rate as if it was on maximum.
I took it back ot the dealers and they fitted a new pollen filter and claimed that this was 'normal' behaviour and matched other models. I've had three 'other models' and i don't think it does.
Obviously this also means that temperature control is impossible and you are either boiling at 16 degrees or cold at 20 degrees.
Can anyone shed any light, or do I just have to put up with it?
Thanks

STAGMAN
04-12-2007, 06:15 PM
This does not sound at all right. I am peed off with being treated like an idiot by main dealers who say it is "normal"

Why can't we talk to the mechanic who knows what is happening rather than a bimbo who does not know one day from the next.:zx11:

GH20TDI
04-12-2007, 06:27 PM
That is a problem and not at all normal - mine may vary slightly (to an extent it is to be expected) but I honestly cannot recall noticing it. It sounds like one would have to be dead not to notice your 'wind problem' ;)

Definitely take it back and tell them to sort it. I know that there are other well known issues with the heating system, and I think it is often the case that when they are good, they are excellent, but when they are bad they are terrible!

I definitely have no issues with mine.

RickT
04-12-2007, 06:51 PM
This is an issue.. its not normal at all...

Go back to the dealer, request you take a technician out on a test drive and show the issue.

Advise them that you will be leaving the car with them and expect a like for like where possible courtesy car due to the mileage you do. Advise them you are not will to have a VW Polo and if they only offer this suggest a Demo car.
Advise them that you are to contact Audi UK to express your disgust at the information provided that this is a normal fault.

If they advise that the issue is still normal ask to speak to the dealer manager... if he is as unhelpful, Go to your nearest other Audi Dealer and im sure they will solve it.

Rick

KLT
06-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks everyone, I was sure it wasn't normal and I wasn't going mad.
I'll return again to the dealer and let you know what happens.
Cheers

markle
10-12-2007, 11:32 PM
I test drove the same make and model, 2.0TDI SE 170BHP low mileage used. It did exactly as you describe. Initialy I thought it was wind noise, but on turning off the CC unit, all went quiet. So although it looks like it may be an issue, it may be a common problem! I didn't see it as an issue and bought the car. But interested to see how you get on. Keep us posted.

andywell
20-12-2007, 08:58 AM
I had this problem when the AC was on Auto and especially if the ambient air temp was above 17-18c. However now that the colder weather is here (-6C here this morning) it seems to have solved itself. However it will interesting to see if the problem returns next summer

John140
17-01-2008, 09:41 AM
I have a 10 month old A4 B7 and I have to admit on the B6 and B7 A4's the CC is a weakness. I find that at motorway speeds with the temp set to 20c I get a lot of wind noise from the CC which is cured when switching the air to the footwells bt pressing the down arrow. I havent noticed the gale force issue, probably because I never have the fascia vents open, although I did notice some time ago that opening the fascia vents in the summer with the sytem in Auto does quieten the system. Whta I cant understand is that I had 2 B5 Passats previously and the CC worked flawlessly in these, whereas they have never got it working right in the A4.
Another A4 CC feature is that the cabin gets realy hot before the temps settles down. Whenever my wife drives my car, she brings it back witn the CC set to OFF because of this.

Zenerdiode
22-01-2008, 01:06 AM
It is a feature, coded into the HVAC controller software. The logic was to make things quieter when you slow down. Also, do you have a re-circulation button? If not, I've read (incredibly..!) that they have fitted gas analyzers to the air intake that tests for NOx and HC and thus if the air quality is poor it will automatically switch to re-circulate.

Would somebody like to read their manual to see if this is true?

John140
22-01-2008, 07:34 PM
It is a feature, coded into the HVAC controller software. The logic was to make things quieter when you slow down. Also, do you have a re-circulation button? If not, I've read (incredibly..!) that they have fitted gas analyzers to the air intake that tests for NOx and HC and thus if the air quality is poor it will automatically switch to re-circulate.

Would somebody like to read their manual to see if this is true?

The automatic pollution sensing air recirculation is a feature that is only fitted to a few models. I haven't seen it on any Audi A3, A4 or A6 I,ve driven. There is a piece in the manual about it but it is as an option.