PDA

View Full Version : golf 1.8t troubles!!!

giraffe100
20-09-2006, 09:08 PM
have a '51 plate golf 1.8t gti that is totally lacking in any turbo power and smokes like a train!! Turbo can still be heard spinning but misses the punch. have taken advice from few mech's and checked(as far as can see) all hoses, finding only the rocker breather split, replaced and still same problem. any other ideas from you guys,is this a common problem with a simple solution or am i faced with a huge bill for turbo replacement.? please help as funds a bit low due to baby on way.:aargh4:

Vagnum
21-09-2006, 12:51 PM
sound's like the turbo seal has gone dude mayb took some of the fin's with it best way to check is remove the boost pipe from the turbo if it's got alot of oil in it the seal's gone also hold the sharft with your finger's and see if there's any play!

dgh938peg
21-09-2006, 01:20 PM
I am afraid i agree with Mr Suprapower. I would say your turbo has blown also. If you have no power and smoke out the back end that's all it can be really. have you done a compression test on each bre?

Audimandan :zx11:

giraffe100
21-09-2006, 10:43 PM
thanks guys, will be stripping this weekend. could you tell me if any other parts that will need looking at before completion, understand cat and poss total exhaust may need attention,all info would be gratefully recieved.

Vagnum
22-09-2006, 10:18 AM
might need a intercooler as well if it's got oil in it but if your going to replace it all you might be better of upgrading it might work out cheaper!