PDA

View Full Version : tdi smoking and flat acceleration

vw_craig
03-12-2007, 04:35 PM
hey

ive had this problem a few weeks but dont have a trust worthy garage to use in london so am trying to find out as much info about my problem and so on as i can.

1.9 tdi 1z 90bhp - 111k

whats going wrong.....

*excessive black/dark smoke pretty much constant when accelerating or doing over 40 mph
*no loss of oil
*no loss of water
*crap fuel consumption
*flat acceleration spots or lag - inconsistent

the only recent work done on the car is a new cat and down pipe

was going to replace the air filter and fuel filter first as it hasnt been done for a while to see if that helps at all....

any info would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

golf tdi 02
03-12-2007, 04:39 PM
hi have you had a management light on or just running lumpy

vw_craig
03-12-2007, 04:42 PM
no warning lights on

just runs badly, constant smoke kicking out more and is eating diesel. turbo seems like its running fine and without losing a drop of oil im stumped

golf tdi 02
03-12-2007, 05:35 PM
ok me myself i will start with a full service ie all filters and oil.
first the diesel filter and then the air cleaner.
see how she goes . do you do round town driving or long drives and have you tried injector cleaner
rich...

vw_craig
03-12-2007, 07:09 PM
just bought a fuel filter and air filter, gonna fit them now cos i have a motorway drive tom to give it a good test. oil and filter was done 2k ago. so ill see how it goes after that.

im based in london so i get a lot of runs in traffic and back and fore. but since the problem, ive done return trips to yorkshire, newcastle, wales and midlands within that past few weeks, so its had some good runs but its just getting worse

cheers

adamss24
03-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi, i live in new southgate, n.london. If you can make it weekends, then i could have a look at your car. I do have vag com diagnostic and i do know a thing or two about diesels. Regards, Chris-07841206564.

golf tdi 02
03-12-2007, 07:20 PM
just a question no dodgy fuel is it ???
i used to get this sometimes when i used red diesel ??
only a guess try injector cleaner ??
rich....

vw_craig
03-12-2007, 07:29 PM
i havent used and injector cleaner yet...i was thinking it could be something towards that or diesel pump kinda thing

ill see how i run tom on the m25!

ive filled up the car numerous amounts during the problem all at diff stations across the country

chris**

mate thats very kind of you, im over in finchley way so very close and i can prob make this weekend. ill give you a shout closer to the time. buy ya a beer for the trouble

cheers lads

Alun
06-12-2007, 03:17 AM
EGR valve????

pritesh
08-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi there, I have a MK3 TDi 1z engine too. I had this kind of a problem few months ago. I was told it was a turbo but it wasnt. I would say have a feel of all the pipes that run into your turbo and make sure they are no split. If they are then that could be the casue of your problem. Replace the hose asap. If you find out your turob is damaged then give me a shout and I know a place in Ealing W London that does recon turbos are reasonable prices. A service will also help and use an injector cleaner.

peejay1959
09-12-2007, 05:15 PM
hey

thanks in advance

Possible clue!! check the pipework, particularly the sensor pipes, for any leaks or diconnections. Also the MAF sensor.

peejay1959
09-12-2007, 05:19 PM
hey

I'd check the pipework in that area!! particulary the egr and all the sensor pipes. Also the MAF sensor

vw_craig
05-01-2008, 12:39 PM
cheers for all the info guys

i dot know what or where the 'egr' is or the Mass air flow.......or how i would check them

the turbo is still working and providing power still

i have changed the fuel filter, air filter, added stop smoke, checked hoses and now im almost through a treatment of injector cleaner.

the smoke still as bad as ever and oil has started to drop but no major amounts. top up every now and then. no water drop at all. still the flat acceleration points as well. i would say the fuel consumption has had the worst effect from the problem

pritesh
05-01-2008, 01:57 PM
the MAF is connected to the pipe that runs down to the air filter. Its a tube which is about 2" wide with an electric plug connected to it. Theres a few threads one the internet on how to clean a MAF or you can buy a New one which I think is quite expensive. The best thing to do find a friend and borrow theirs for a day or two and see if that makes a difference. Sorry i dont know what the 'erg' is.

JASTONV
06-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Try here ;
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=148753&highlight=mass+air

Failing the above, the smoke may be a sign that the oil seals in the turbo (lubricates the shaft) are goosed, and oil is passing into the turbo, intercooler and exhaust.

vw_craig
23-01-2008, 12:59 PM
ok so i checked all the pipes and they seem pretty good

also did the MAF sensor check and its not that, cos when i took it off it ran like a 1 litre fiesta!

so i guess im down to egr, turbo issues now as im defo losing oil but not really fuel as i think this is just poor cos of the bad running conditions......

time for a garage trip i think

anyone know of any trusted ones in north london area?

jonnyturbo
22-03-2008, 11:33 PM
i have been having the same problems with my mk3 tdi 1z also and have since replaced the map sensor, maf sensor and egr valve and all the 3 and 4mm hoses running to and from all sensors! i have also run two tanks of bp ultimate diesel with injector cleaner and still have the same problem! vag com doesnt show anything up and i have had the turbo checked recently to make sure it was ok and its fine! its been serviced every 10k miles with mann filters and they are all clean. anyone?

jonnyturbo
23-03-2008, 02:31 PM
this problem really bothered me so i went this morning and pulled every pipe theat the car had around the engine bay and found it has been the top intercooler pipe!! it was sheilded by the spring clip that holds it on to the hard pipe that runs parallel with the side of the engine. i took the car out for a run once i had wrapped it in self amalgimating tape and tbh it must have been going for quite a while because the car has never felt so responsive of quick before!! hope this helps you out craig

vw_craig
23-03-2008, 08:17 PM
cheers mate, i havent been able to reply for a while. the problem was found about a month ago. one of the vacuum pipes had a hidden slice in it which you could feel by touch and this was the cause of all my problems...runs faster than before as during the process of elimination it had a new air and fuel filter and so on...getting like 560 miles from a tank of fuel now as well even though it takes 55 quid!! jesus......

branchespark
02-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for all the info in this thread. I will do a complete hose check when it is light. I have a Golf TDI 130, 51 plate.

The problem I have seems pretty similar to what others have experienced here - smokey when pulling away, reduced MPG and a much noisier than normal turbo.

I don't seem to be losing oil (in fact it is over the top kink in the dip stick after a recent service - could that be an issue?) but the MPG has dropped off over the past couple of days. I mean dropped by over 10 MPG and hovering around the 20 / 25 mpg mark for the first ten minutes when cold.

I considered poor fuel for the MPG loss, but I have since refuelled and no improvement.

What made me realise there might be something wrong this was a combination of the turbo being far noiser and sounding like it had no lubricant and the fact that when driving in the evening and accelerating I can see dark smoke in the following car's headlights.

Also, a few months ago the display on the dash said "Engine Workshop!". I took the car to the garage and, typically, it has gone by then and did not appear on any VAG-COM report nor has it appeared on the dash since.

Does this sound farmiliar to anyone?

Cheers, Sam

saunders1587
02-04-2008, 08:49 PM
just a question no dodgy fuel is it ???
i used to get this sometimes when i used red diesel ??
only a guess try injector cleaner ??
rich....

I would say try some injector cleaner too, it has done 111k yeah? Might be a little worn

Oooo and rich i wouldn't admit to using red :biglaugh:

Dan.

jonnyturbo
03-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all the info in this thread. I will do a complete hose check when it is light. I have a Golf TDI 130, 51 plate.

The problem I have seems pretty similar to what others have experienced here - smokey when pulling away, reduced MPG and a much noisier than normal turbo.

I don't seem to be losing oil (in fact it is over the top kink in the dip stick after a recent service - could that be an issue?) but the MPG has dropped off over the past couple of days. I mean dropped by over 10 MPG and hovering around the 20 / 25 mpg mark for the first ten minutes when cold.

I considered poor fuel for the MPG loss, but I have since refuelled and no improvement.

What made me realise there might be something wrong this was a combination of the turbo being far noiser and sounding like it had no lubricant and the fact that when driving in the evening and accelerating I can see dark smoke in the following car's headlights.

Also, a few months ago the display on the dash said "Engine Workshop!". I took the car to the garage and, typically, it has gone by then and did not appear on any VAG-COM report nor has it appeared on the dash since.

Does this sound farmiliar to anyone?

Cheers, Sam

the louder turbo noise will be from most likely all your boost pressure being blown through a split in one of your boost hoses, thats the way mine sounded. as for the smoke in other peoples headlights, people actually were moving into the other lane to see where they were going it was that bad!! check all your hoses before you replace anything, i learnt the hard way and replaced a lot of parts that i didnt need too!!

jonny

robot
28-04-2008, 09:10 AM
hi give Kelvin Motor Wagons a ring on 020 7359 8609 he is on Brownswood rd finsbury park N4. he does all my T4's and i have never had a problem with him. hope you get your smoke fixed. have you thought that you may have dropped a valve? that would explain the smoke and it will keep running for some time with a busted valve but only for so long, its not a quick fix or cheap either.

davidfrancis86
07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi there a would be looking at possibal burst boost pipe (turbo pipe) rev car up and if you hear load hissing noise there must be a pipe burst somewhere get someone to revcar up and down and check all the turbo pipes for air coming out

JSage
26-08-2008, 04:08 PM
well after reading through the post i decided to have a look at the fault on my tdi 1.9.
She too had a sudden power loss on acceleration.
Looked over all of the pipes and all seemed fine.
Took off the air intake pipe and found that it had worn against the fuel filter pipes and had a massive hole in it.

Took it off and sealed it with some 5minute JB weld and some blenderm tape.

She now goes like stink, never pulled away that fast !!!!!

Guys check your inlet pipes havent cracked.

Cheers for the read and advice.

John

Bodferret
26-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Very interesting thread and a lot of info...thanks lads. Must check the garage out in Finsbury park if my pipes look fine...:beerchug: