PDA

View Full Version : Ipod connection

twvw
03-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Can someone out there can recommend the easiest way to get my ipod playing through the standard RCD300 sound system?

My understanding is that the VW solution doesn't allow you to actually select tracks - just play a playlist from start to finish. |I also understand that the connections via an fm transmitter are a a bit rubbish...

Anyone out there know a good solution which won't cost the earth?

orangezorki
03-12-2007, 05:21 PM
The way the VW adapter works is that it emulates a CD changer, so is a direct connection and you set up six playlists which you can select, and then select the track number you want. You don't however get to see the track names.

The VW kit probably is the best on balance, but if you want more detail, I think the DICE kit shows track names.

David.

james_tiger_woo
04-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Hi,

I bought an adapter from xcarlink - http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/ it cost me about £75 or thereabouts and on balance is pretty good. This emulates a CD changer...

It doesn't show track names and the time counter isn't accurate, but I'm not bothered.

It is, however, really good as the 6 CDs listed are my first 6 playlists. Anything I select and play with the iPod plays through the stereo which means I'm not limited to just those 6 playlists (I listen to Podcasts quite a lot so I know this to be true).

If you do a search through the (Passat B6) Forum, you can find a link that will give you a code to put in to get free next day delivery.

The sound quality is very good and as it connects to the base adapter at the bottom of the iPod, sound quality is pretty good.

It's not that hard to fit either :)

twvw
04-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys!

Fingers crossed I won't have to use a screwdriver at any point...

james_tiger_woo
04-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Installing the xcarlink will require the use of a posidrive screwdriver, but it's a total no brainer to fit - If I can do it - you can :)