PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the GPS on a Nokia N95?

Clinterous
03-12-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm considering getting an N95.

Has anybody used the GPS function, and if so what's it like?

prolfe
03-12-2007, 04:52 PM
It looks cool enough, although to get the full product and full features, you have to pay, you also cannot use the built in GPS for anything but the Nokia Sat Nav software. Something to do with the fact it's hard wired and not bluetooth. So no TomTom for you young man.

As a massive (never owned anything else but) Nokia fan i was REALLY tempted by the N95, until I had a go on one. Slow to boot as was my N80 but a lot more plasitky.

Not good, come on nokia, pull your finger out the money making pie that you seem to have got it stuck in. And make us a decent, solid phone.

None of us want to drop the thing, but that's what we 'humans' do.

Have a look at the K850i, Samsung G600 or the LG Viewty (KU990)

The latter is the one I chose.

Clinterous
04-12-2007, 10:23 AM
I keep hearing problems with N95 battery life - even Orange try to dissuade me!

Troubel with the phones you recommended is that they don't do GPS.

As an alternative I'm thinking of a HTC Tytn2, which can use TOMTOM software - which is obtainable;). This piece of kit is more a PDA then phone, which is not a bad thing, but chunky for slipping into ya denims when out and about!

I suppose this could invoke the old 'is that a canoe, or are you just.......'

prolfe
04-12-2007, 10:43 AM
You just get a GPS receiver, especially if you can get TomTom for nothing.

Holux are great receivers, and the Nokia LD3W is also very good and very small. I used to Velcro mine behind the rear view mirror so that I couldn't even see it whilst driving.

Clinterous
04-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Hmm, this is a new world for me, so excuse my naivity.

So if the Holux does the receiving, what does the display:confused:

prolfe
04-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Hmm, this is a new world for me, so excuse my naivity.

So if the Holux does the receiving, what does the display:confused:

I'll explain it best I can, pretending that you know nothing about Sat Nav on mobiles/pda's. So I apologise if you do know bits of this.

For Sat Nav to display your position correctly on a mobile phone it needs a GPS receiver.

A GPS receiver will get it's position from 3 to 32 satellites depending on the model of receiver. All receivers will need a minimum number to be able to provide a position on a map. The Nokia is six I think.

The N95 has one built in but ONLY the Nokia Sat Nav software can see it, and use it. (charges are applicable)

For Sat Nav on another 5megapixel phone, you need TomTom (other brands available) and an External GPS Receiver. Like the Holux or Nokia LD3W. The Nokia unit will work with any bluetooth phone and any sat nav software. Check the compatibility of Sat Nav software with your chosen phone prior to buying.

Getting back to the info:

The Mobile will then connect to the GPS receiver via bluetooth. When this is done the Sat Nav software will pick up the signal ad display/plan your journey.

I've not used anything but TomTom and must say that it is excellent. That said because i am no longer using my N80, I am going to buy a Navman S70 or S50. Which is a standalone traditional Sat Nav unit.

Clinterous
04-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Cheers Prolfe - makes more sense now.

I like the idea of having GPS in my hand, plus the potential for viewing OS maps whilst out and about.

With the seperate Holux GPS idea, this is fine for use solely in the car, but then not so for reasons mentioned above.

I've gone for the HTC Tytn2. Orange will give it to me FOC on my £30 a month tariff. Not a bad deal all in all.

Phew, I can get on with some work now.

prolfe
04-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Cheers Prolfe - makes more sense now.

I like the idea of having GPS in my hand, plus the potential for viewing OS maps whilst out and about.

With the seperate Holux GPS idea, this is fine for use solely in the car, but then not so for reasons mentioned above.

I've gone for the HTC Tytn2. Orange will give it to me FOC on my £30 a month tariff. Not a bad deal all in all.

Phew, I can get on with some work now.

But with the external GPS - you can just pop into your pocket. It's no bigger than a packet of matches. (not that i smoke, but that's th only thing I can think of that is the same size) Blimey, seems i have some non-smoker complex.

The HTC - it's GPS receiver is built in, like the N95, does this mean that you won't be able to have third party SatNav software?

Clinterous
04-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Appreciate what you say about the seperate GPS receiver. The HTC will work with TOMTOM software.

http://www.europe.htc.com/en/products/htctytn2.html

Upon receipt I've got 7 days to return it, if need be.

Ben
04-12-2007, 07:04 PM
, I am going to buy a Navman S70 or S50. Which is a standalone traditional Sat Nav unit.

Would you believe it prolfe. I have a Navman F20.

amezin that innit.

so whats the list now....

Flashed N80.
On orange,
2.0 Tdi
32" samsung
owned nothing but nokias

prolfe
05-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Would you believe it prolfe. I have a Navman F20.

amezin that innit.

so whats the list now....

Flashed N80.
On orange,
2.0 Tdi
32" samsung
owned nothing but nokias

Not sure if i should start listing other things just in case, perhaps your living my other life. :)

We are eachother's avtars in some weird real "SecondLife" .

Ben
05-12-2007, 11:06 PM
crikey!

You were up early!

What time is your alarm set?

mine's 5AM.

prolfe
05-12-2007, 11:29 PM
crikey!

You were up early!

What time is your alarm set?

mine's 5AM.

had to do some work before leaving for work in London, will be the same in't morning.

Another bit of work before disappearing off to Dartford

Clinterous
06-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Have received the HTC Tytn2 handset now.

Very easy to use and well impressed; so far! Will update if it starts to irritate me in due course.

Off to buy a flash card now, so I can install TomTom and Memory Map.

prolfe
06-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Have received the HTC Tytn2 handset now.

Very easy to use and well impressed; so far! Will update if it starts to irritate me in due course.

Off to buy a flash card now, so I can install TomTom and Memory Map.

Great

Let us have a bit of a review at some point.

I have given it a few weeks of use before reviewing my new LG Vewity.

Write up to follow.