PDA

View Full Version : Just bought 1997 A4 with problems

rda76
02-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi guys I just bought the girlfriend this Audi A4 1.8 20v to replace her ageing fiesta. Unfortunatley on the ride home I realised a few issues.

1. The heater is only very mildly warm but engine temp is normal.

2. ABS light comes on if you go over around 80mph (allegedly). It only seems to happen when you go that fast, but wont clear till the engine is switched off and back on again.

Apart from that the car seems excellent with only 76k miles on the clock, the seller has aggreed to take the car back or pay a percentage of the repair cost as lomg as its an economical repair.

Any ideas or advice would be most welcome.

rda76
08-12-2007, 09:07 PM
*Bump*

I'm still looking for ideas here guys. There is deffo how water running into the matrix and it seems still to be hot when leaving and there appear to be no blocks or airlocks in the cooling system. So why would the cabin still not warm up? It is not the climatronic version so I think its just a cable from the temp dial to the matrix vent somewhere. It deffo gets colder when you reduce temp but gets nowhere near warm enough on hot. Car engine temp is fine on the gauge @ 90deg.

ABS light still doing the same :S

Any help or advice would be cool.

Thanks

Ross

adamss24
08-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi, you will need someone with vag com to try and reset the climate control air flaps motors. Then , if you have any not working/working flaps it will require changing-fidly job and ussualy the dash needs to come off ! It is time consuming and will cost an arm an leg at the dealer ! Abs, could be one of the sensors duff. Again, pinpointed by a diagnostic, then plug-in properly or replaced .

rda76
08-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the quick reply but the car is not a climatronic version and has manual controls for the air flaps and the temp dial seems to be functioning fine and turns smoothly.

Will get the ABS checked out asap, I think there is an Audi dealer nereby, do you have any idea how much it would cost to have them check for codes with a VAG-COM ?

Thanks

Ross

forrest
12-12-2007, 06:31 PM
hi bud i had the same prob with my a4 when i got it (the abs prob) and i payd for it to go on a computer and they said it was due to yhe abs sensor on the rear wheel, so i changed both the rear sensors and it was prob solved only took me 20 min to do.

audimad
12-12-2007, 07:25 PM
If its ABS sensors then they are around £20 each ish. I would completely flush the coolant sysytem and replace it usuing G12 coolant. I bet its sludged up in the matrix restricting flow a bit