PDA

View Full Version : 1.9TDi Thermostat

Hywel
19-09-2006, 11:06 AM
I've got an overheating problem in my Sharan which (I think) I've narrowed down to either thermostat or water pump. Going to go for the easy option first, but it's a long time since I did any work on a new car and where as I could have found the thermostat housing on my sunbeam alpine or stag with my eyes shut, I'm struggling with the Sharan especially with all the piping, ducting and gubbins around the engine compartment. I'm assuming the 1.9TDi unit is the same as on other models, so can anyone give me a pointer to where the housing is?

Ta

Vagnum
19-09-2006, 11:33 AM
The thermostat is situated just next to the alternator mounting bracket. it is inside and engled black pipe fitting held in place by two black 10mm bolts.

Vagnum
19-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Sorry forget to mention: test that the water pump impeller has ot failed by removing the 6mm black pipe that feeds into the top of the coolant resovoir. Rev the engine at approximately 2500 rpm, coolant should pump out of this pipe at quite a rate. ( best to poin the pipe back into the coolant bottle! Insufficient flow indicates that the impellar has fallen off the shaft or that the plastic part has broken up. Hope this helps.

dgh938peg
19-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Sounds like our Toyota loving friend here knows a thing or two about VAG's? My mechanic friend had to do the same with his and the impeller and stat had gone.

Audimandan

All the same though, sound advice