PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter

notquitecornish
02-12-2007, 04:03 AM
Hi all,

I've decided that I really ought to replace the air filter in my Golf - the only problem is I'm not 100% sure which filter I need, and I'd appreciate basic instructions in fitting the thing!

My car's a 1994 Golf (mk3, of course). GL version, 1.8 automatic, and I believe it's the 90bhp variant.

I was looking at K&N filters on GSF (around £45) but I'm not sure exactly which model is right for my car!

Any help is much appreciated!

02-12-2007, 03:54 PM
hello
can i just ask why you need to replace your air filter???as this should be part of a basic service
i would not waste your time with a basic panel filter from K&N unless you have more mods on your car a normal panel filter from a local motor factors would cost little more than £14
unless you are going to keep the car for more than 5 years plus i would go a standard filter or do you plan to upgrade the exhaust as in freeflow stainless system
the only advantage of the K&N is you can wash it, dry it ,spray some WD40 on it, and replace once dry
if you are loking for BHP gains dont waste your time as many things to consider apart from this filter
if you want to replace with standard filter or K&N look in your engine bay at the left hand side once you lift the bonnet there should be a large black box with some clips on take these off and lift the lid you will see the paper filter remove and replace in reverse order job done
sticky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:approve:

notquitecornish
02-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Well... I had my car serviced by my local garage (very trusty and reliable) two days before I moved to University, and he wasn't able to source a filter in time (his parts company sent one for a mk4 Golf or something). So he told me it was dead easy and that I could do it myself.

I was under the impression you get what you pay for with car parts - and reading around, it looked like K&N was the brand to go for. If cheaper parts do the job that's fine by me!

I'm looking to keep the car running...if changing something improves its performance that's fine with me - it's 13 years old, it's not exactly at peak handling. Hardly likely to mod it though, it's barely worth £400!

So can anyone tell me which filter to go for? I need a make and a product code/ID/whatever.

I'm not buying anything from ********* after they accused me of (ready for this) plotting to shoplift a set of alloy wheels in my back pocket. All this, the day after I buy £80 worth of CD player and air freshener off them wearing my suit. Typical!

02-12-2007, 09:25 PM
i feel i have offend you as in the defensive reply sorry!!!
none was meant you are right about you pay for what you get but the air filter you want is a plain paper one ,i feel.
and will do just the job if you are ordering just quote your
car as in make (good old VW)
year of registrastion
engine size
and that is all really good job you dont go to ********* they are expensive and no help execpt on sndays when you want some oil.
hope this helps

Alun
03-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Yeah, just go to a local motor shop and order one in. Should cost around £7. All you'll need to do is quote what car you have like you did in your first post. Fitting is simple as already mentioned.