PDA

View Full Version : how fresh is your mk5!?

Nicks
01-12-2007, 11:23 AM
please let me know how you rate your mk5 !!?

thinking about getting a mk5 gti..

but I've heard they aren't put together that well.. rattles and noises coming from interiors etc...

has anyone experience this!?

Wazza_G
01-12-2007, 11:45 AM
No problems with mine, not a rattle, squeak, it's all good, so far! :approve:

Nicks
01-12-2007, 05:44 PM
No problems with mine, not a rattle, squeak, it's all good, so far! :approve:

good to hear! how many miles have you done in yours? what year?

do the earlyer ones have any sort of problems recalls etc?

thinking the tornado red looks fresh!

Wazza_G
02-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Well it's very new only 500 miles on the clock so far, but with the state of Surrey's roads it will soon put the build quality to the test.

I don't know of any recalls on the Golf Mk5, others maybe able to help you there.

Colour it's a dark pearlescent blue, I can't remember the name of it though.

Do I like the car, not sure yet.

The one thing I do love is the heated seats, especially on a frosty morning.

mustard
02-12-2007, 09:10 AM
please let me know how you rate your mk5 !!?

thinking about getting a mk5 gti..

but I've heard they aren't put together that well.. rattles and noises coming from interiors etc...

has anyone experience this!?

I've had my Mk5 (GT TDI 140) since Mar 2004, done 26000 miles, never missed a beat, had a recall for replacement of the dual mass flywheel. No rattles etc from the interior, seems welll put together compared to other cars I have driven. The suspension as standard is a bit harsh and crashes over uneven roads. Swapped the dampers for Koni FSB, a great improvement.

The diesel is a bit gruff on acceleration, but at constant speed is fine.

Still enjoy driving it, mind you it has been remapped.

Regards

Andrew

Nicks
02-12-2007, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=mustard;100214]I've had my Mk5 (GT TDI 140) since Mar 2004, done 26000 miles, never missed a beat, had a recall for replacement of the dual mass flywheel. No rattles etc from the interior, seems welll put together compared to other cars I have driven.

hey andy!

did the dual mass flywheel cause any problems!? did it ever make a strange noise on a first start.. or when driving juddering at higher speeds?

cheers bud

Nicks
02-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Surely there must be more people with Mk 5s here!!?

aidanjaye
03-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Mine (GTI) has 1000 miles on the clock, no real problems, just niggles.

1. Pipe on intake manifold fell off resulting in no power between 2-3000 rpm.
2. Centre section of dash rattles (problem on a lot of Golfs)
3. Glove box rattle (see above)
4. Squeaky back brakes
5. No radio code given (yet)
6. A bit rattly on start up (assured from dealer that they are all like that???)
7. A ticking from back of car (maybe fuel pump)
8. Service schedule set for one year (should be two year long life servicing - crafty dealer)
9. Fuel consumption is crap (25mpg and thats not foot down everywhere)
10. Steams up like mad - had to check there wasn't a sauna in the back.

To be fair to VW, have only had item 1 seen too as haven't had time to get back to the dealer.

Other items to note. The double click entry for all doors does my head in. I will try to get it changed at dealer.

Also I am hoping it gets faster....the 170 TSI I tried wasn't that much slower.
I am coming from Subarus, Skylines, S4 but the power isn't anything to right home about. Hopefully with some more miles...I grow to like it. Never listen to a women when buying a car. Did consider the R32 and sort of wishing I had stretched the budget.

And lastly, the stinking standard wheels / bridgestone tyres had to go - ugly and crap IMO.

Ben
03-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Mine (GTI) has 1000 miles on the clock, no real problems, just niggles.

1. Pipe on intake manifold fell off resulting in no power between 2-3000 rpm.
2. Centre section of dash rattles (problem on a lot of Golfs)
3. Glove box rattle (see above)
4. Squeaky back brakes
5. No radio code given (yet)
6. A bit rattly on start up (assured from dealer that they are all like that???)
7. A ticking from back of car (maybe fuel pump)
8. Service schedule set for one year (should be two year long life servicing - crafty dealer)
9. Fuel consumption is crap (25mpg and thats not foot down everywhere)
10. Steams up like mad - had to check there wasn't a sauna in the back.

To be fair to VW, have only had item 1 seen too as haven't had time to get back to the dealer.

Other items to note. The double click entry for all doors does my head in. I will try to get it changed at dealer.

Also I am hoping it gets faster....the 170 TSI I tried wasn't that much slower.
I am coming from Subarus, Skylines, S4 but the power isn't anything to right home about. Hopefully with some more miles...I grow to like it. Never listen to a women when buying a car. Did consider the R32 and sort of wishing I had stretched the budget.

And lastly, the stinking standard wheels / bridgestone tyres had to go - ugly and crap IMO.

give it chance for the average to come up on the avg mpg thingy. you have only done 1000, give it till at least 5000

aidanjaye
03-12-2007, 09:30 PM
25 mpg is the average I'm getting per tank (trip 2), think the overall is less.

oh and did I mention the standard lights - junk. Why are the Xenons options, especially when some VX and Fords have them as standard (not that I'd buy a VX or Ford - although that VXR8 thingy looks good)

mustard
04-12-2007, 01:54 AM
The advantage of the diesel is that I get 38mpg on my 10 mile journey to work ( mix of town, dual carriageway and country lane) and have been known to get 50mpg on a steady run and the performance is good (not as good as Subarus etc), but still good enough.

MPG and performance improved after 7000miles and again after 20 000, so give it time.

I replaced my bulbs with the 'extreme' bulbs, the lighting is much improved with these for about £50

Nicks
04-12-2007, 10:02 PM
yeah I know what you mean about the lights can you get them changed to Xenons they look the bomb! probably cost you a arm and a leg though!

Ben
04-12-2007, 10:07 PM
This will solve the light issue http://stores.ebay.co.uk/hids-direct_MTEC-HID-Conversion-kit-s_W0QQfsubZ15362769

3rd down on the left

aidanjaye
04-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Think I'll try bulb upgrade first....otherwise no presents from Santa for the kids.

Wazza_G
05-12-2007, 03:14 AM
I love my xenon's! They're top banana!:banana:

It almost makes night day!