PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Weber Carb to 1.8 Golf.

AndySil
30-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Hello Everyone,

I just signed up with this forum today.
I have a 1.8 Golf Mk2 Tour which I've had since about 1998 when it was 10 years old.
I try to maintain it myself as much as possible to keep down costs.
I'm on my 2nd Pierburg 2E2 but have finally, reluctantly conceeded to a used scrapyard Weber.
Its in a bit of a state but hopefully with a bit of TLC and patience it will be just fine.
I'm a little in the dark with it as I have no fitting intructions and no diagram to see if there's anything missing etc. The airfilter arrangment is a bit of a mystery to me as it came with the K&N chrome housing plates but they don't seem to fit. Also came with a large diameter black tube which has also got me baffled.
If anyone out there has had experience fitting this carb, I'd be very glad to hear from you.

Cheers

Diamond Hell
19-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Fitting a Weber 32/34 DTML to replace a Pierburg is one of the best things you could possibly do to your car.

You will need the correct fitting adaptor plate to bolt it to the Golf manifold. and the jets in the carb need to be approximately right. remove them and clean them and make a note of the numbers on them one at a time - this ensures they go back where they came from!

Once you've done that, if you want I'll go pull the jets from mine, which has been running well on a 1.8 GU motor and we'll see if you're close!

You MUST use your original airbox and intake trunking from off the Pierburg - it bolts down on to the carb, with the right kit. If you use a pan filter or some other such junk then you're likely to get carb icing and nonsense.

Basic adjustments are shown here (http://www.vwsyncro.co.uk/data/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1384)

AndySil
22-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Hello Diamond Hell,"One Post Wonder" here,

Thanks for your response, much appreciated. and for the link with the useful pictures for reference.
I bought the used carb for about £70 from a VW scrap yard in Leicester. If I'd seen it first I would have passed on it, but hey, you pays your money and takes yer chance.
The carb looks like its been has been ripped off the car without undoing the nuts so the rubber mount is U/S. Mount looks pretty perished anyway as if its been running very hot.
The mounting adaptor plate is on it with only one nut holding it and there's plenty of gasket gunk been applied to the gasket/adaptor seal.
It'll have to be prised open and cleaned up first.
Thanks for the advice about using the original 2E2 airfilter. I shall need the bracket/flange sleeve and cup screw to fit it which is about £17 I found out today. That together with the other parts I need, i.e. Base gasket,choke cable, service kit will bring it up to about £50 which is quite expensive unless I'm lucky enough to find the bracket at a local scrap yard!
Hopefully I'll get chance to clean the carb up a bit over the holidays and check out those jets you mentioned.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Merry Christmas to you and all.

smithgj123
02-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Try this:

http://www.cowbie.biz/car/weber.htm

AndySil
06-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Hello,
Thank you so much for the link you sent above. This certainly is a big help with all the photos etc.
I haven't had anytime to mess with the actual carb yet as I have a problem with the rubber "O" ring on the inlet manifold.
It was done some years ago but due to water finding its way into the carb(I still have the 2E2 fitted at present) via the rocker cover breather pipe I obviously need to solve this problem again before fitting the Weber.
It's not a job I fancy doing myself as I have no garage or cover or tools if things go wrong, such as manifold bolts shearing etc. So I have booked it in to my trusted mechanic at Deutsche Motors who knows what he's doing.

Anyway thanks for your help and I'll be back to update soon when its fixed and I have found the parts to mount the airfilter box to to the Weber.

Best wishes,
Andy