PDA

View Full Version : Low electrolyte level - does anyone know what symptoms this can cause?

kaygolf
30-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I have an 04 1.4 SE FSi and have had reason to obtain the diagnostics logs from the dealer who has been servicing/repairing it since the beginning of the year.
There are a lot of references to 'excessive voltage' and 'low voltage' which has generated various code faults. I read on the web that voltage up and down effects can be caused by a very low electrolyte level - does anyone have any experience of or opinions on this effect? I've had a look at the battery and in the 'magic eye' (I think it's called) - there's no visible colour such as green at all - it just looks black. The dealership tested the battery just after I had driven it and said the voltage was fine.
Any suggestions PLEASE???

Thank you:confused:

adamss24
30-11-2007, 06:27 PM
How old its the battery ? Modern cars put so much load on the battery with their consumers, that the battery will not last many years.

kaygolf
30-11-2007, 07:04 PM
How old its the battery ? Modern cars put so much load on the battery with their consumers, that the battery will not last many years.
Thanks for the reply.
It's exactly 3 years old. I'm not averse to replacing the battery if it needs it, but I've got a bit of a dispute going on with the main dealer and VW re work that I now think should have been done (or at least pointed out to me) when it was under warranty when all these warnings were showing re high and low voltage.
Does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks!