PDA

View Full Version : Which iPod ?

Tim_miT
29-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Folks,

My fiancée has bought herself a new Golf Match 1.6FSi.

It comes with an iPod cradle thingamajig.

Now as it's her birthday in a week's time, I'm going to buy the lucky lady a new iPod to go with her new motor, as she only has a standard MP3 player.

I know nothing about MP3 players or iPods or anything, having never used one in my life before.

I've browsed the internet looking for good deals on iPods, and this is where I'm running into trouble, and why I've joined this excellent forum with its knowledgeable ladies and gents.

There seem to be all sorts of different iPods out there. iPod shuffles and iPod nanos and all sorts. Which particular one will fit the standard Golf Match cradle?

I have searched through the extensive audio assistance type threads, but nowhere does it state which iPod is the correct one to get. Probably cos it's too basic a question. :(

Can anyone help me out a bit here?

Tim

Ben
29-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Apple have recently 'updated' the range of ipods, aesthetic things really i'm led to believe, i can't imagine them changing the connector socket or any of the overall dimensions as there is a whole array of accessories that it uses.

I am of the opinion that any ipod will fit the cradle provided the unit had the socket that is.

Best bet is this......take the car to comet. ask shop assistant that you would like to buy said pod but state that you are uncertain as to its mating with the car and would it be possible for him/ her to accompany you to the car to test fit it.

They shouldn't have a problem with this as they'll want the sale.

BTW, i don't own an ipod.

hope this helps.

Ben

prolfe
04-12-2007, 10:23 AM
You will be able to fit any of the ipod's except the shuffle.

The best deal i have seen is for the 4Gb Nano which has 30% off when you get ANY ipod speaker.

This is from Comet.

The 4Gb Nano only comes in silver, but can hold 1000 songs or there abouts.

So you could get the nano for £69.99(30% off) and a speaker that is also maybe an alarm clock? or just one of those small travel speakers, great for holidays back in't hotel room.

Music, Podcasts, AudioBooks and 12 hour music playback battery life
The 1Gb shuffle is £49.99 and comes in Red, Blue, Silver, Green and Turquoise

As above but with Video, Pictures and 24 hours music playback battery life
The 4Gb nano is £99 and only comes in Silver
The 8Gb nano is £129, and comes in Blue, Silver, Red, Green and Black

As above but with 30 hours music playback battery life
The 80Gb Classic is £159 and comes in Black and Silver.
The 160Gb Classic is £229 and again comes in Black and Silver.

As above but also you're able to surf the web Via WiFi
The 8Gb Touch is £199 and comes only in Black
The 16Gb Touch is £269 again, only in Black

If you get it direct from Apple, you get it engraved for free and shipped free as well.

Ben
04-12-2007, 10:47 PM
You will be able to fit any of the ipod's except the shuffle.

The best deal i have seen is for the 4Gb Nano which has 30% off when you get ANY ipod speaker.

This is from Comet.

The 4Gb Nano only comes in silver, but can hold 1000 songs or there abouts.

So you could get the nano for £69.99(30% off) and a speaker that is also maybe an alarm clock? or just one of those small travel speakers, great for holidays back in't hotel room.

Music, Podcasts, AudioBooks and 12 hour music playback battery life
The 1Gb shuffle is £49.99 and comes in Red, Blue, Silver, Green and Turquoise

As above but with Video, Pictures and 24 hours music playback battery life
The 4Gb nano is £99 and only comes in Silver
The 8Gb nano is £129, and comes in Blue, Silver, Red, Green and Black

As above but with 30 hours music playback battery life
The 80Gb Classic is £159 and comes in Black and Silver.
The 160Gb Classic is £229 and again comes in Black and Silver.

As above but also you're able to surf the web Via WiFi
The 8Gb Touch is £199 and comes only in Black
The 16Gb Touch is £269 again, only in Black

If you get it direct from Apple, you get it engraved for free and shipped free as well.

can't see that ipod offer on the comet site prolfe.

i've followed the links to it and all i can find are the nano video and speaker packages that come to over £100.00.:confused:

post the link buddy.

this is the best i've found http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-8655.aspx

and this is the best internet buy http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/597556/art/apple/ipod-nano-4gb-silver-3rd.html?srcid=36&Partenaire=kelkoo_uk&CodePromo=oui

prolfe
05-12-2007, 07:26 AM
can't see that ipod offer on the comet site prolfe.

i've followed the links to it and all i can find are the nano video and speaker packages that come to over £100.00.:confused:

post the link buddy.

this is the best i've found http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-8655.aspx

and this is the best internet buy http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/597556/art/apple/ipod-nano-4gb-silver-3rd.html?srcid=36&Partenaire=kelkoo_uk&CodePromo=oui

The Nano Video is the new one. The advert states 30% off any Nano when buying any ipod speakers.

I called them up and said I wanted the 4gb and some different speakers to the ones in the example, they said that would be fine. I'm gonna go in there later to see. I will let you know.

Nicks
05-12-2007, 09:55 AM
don't mess around with those mate get the classic 80Gig it's the bomb!

you'll be able to get films on it so if you travel a lot bonus.

big up

Tim_miT
05-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the replies peoples. :)

Very useful.

I've forked out for the new nano (5th gen). 4GB flavour, £89 from Amazon.

I think you can get it a few quid cheaper at Pixmania and maybe one or two other places, but I have an account with Amazon so was happy with that.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HZ-Z5i3%2BL._AA280_.jpg

Ben
05-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Comet have an add in our local paper - delivered free today - i looked at the ipod offer. An ipod speaker dock worth 39.99 is free with any ipod £99 or over, while stocks last.

kinbra
06-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Folks,Hi Tim.

My fiancée has bought herself a new Golf Match 1.6FSi.

It comes with an iPod cradle thingamajig.

Now as it's her birthday in a week's time, I'm going to buy the lucky lady a new iPod to go with her new motor, as she only has a standard MP3 player.

I know nothing about MP3 players or iPods or anything, having never used one in my life before.

I've browsed the internet looking for good deals on iPods, and this is where I'm running into trouble, and why I've joined this excellent forum with its knowledgeable ladies and gents.

There seem to be all sorts of different iPods out there. iPod shuffles and iPod nanos and all sorts. Which particular one will fit the standard Golf Match cradle?

I have searched through the extensive audio assistance type threads, but nowhere does it state which iPod is the correct one to get. Probably cos it's too basic a question. :(

Can anyone help me out a bit here?

TimYou say the Golf Match is a new vehicle, if so there is a section at the back of the document folder/handbook supplied with the car. This section titled iPOD gives all the models for your car and full description of use, the iPOD takes the place of a cd changer and has the same limited functions ie: no artist or track titles displayed, you can select upto five playlists the sixth being a mix or select shuffle on the iPOD before inserting into cradle. I find the iPOD adaptor of limited use and i am trying to find an adaptor that will fit the iPOD dock to covert it to MP3 or early USB iPOD a much cheaper alternative i would investigate if an iPOD would function as you expect.

Wazza_G
06-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Just check on the car if it says MP3 on the CD slot, then it's all the better still, because if you don't want to faff around with an Ipod, then just create an MP3 CD, as the CD player should be able to play that quite happily and you can if you are careful fit around 100 (long)-180 (short) tracks on a MP3 CD.

(If you work it out that a CD = approx. 700Mb capacity and an average MP3 track is about 5Mb in size depending on the bit rate that it was encoded at.)

Ben
06-12-2007, 09:27 PM
absoloutly right Wazza.

I miss my pioneer mp3 head unit that i had in my fiat as that was soooo good.

still - got £90 for it off ebay.

I cant go down the oem ipod route now as i just took delivery of something very special indeed.:D

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/06122007039.jpg

if anything, i'll have to go via xcarlink as i have a 6 disc changer i want to retain the use of.

kinbra
07-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Just check on the car if it says MP3 on the CD slot, then it's all the better still, because if you don't want to faff around with an Ipod, then just create an MP3 CD, as the CD player should be able to play that quite happily and you can if you are careful fit around 100 (long)-180 (short) tracks on a MP3 CD.

(If you work it out that a CD = approx. 700Mb capacity and an average MP3 track is about 5Mb in size depending on the bit rate that it was encoded at.)
Sounds (excuse the pun) a good way to go. I have a friend with a new mini they have the same issues with the iPOD waste of time.

Cheers Kinbra

westvillewonder
22-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Hi all

What is the deal with Iphones? I know the warning message comes up stating that it is best to have it in Airplane mode to avoid static, but i still can't get it to show up on the head unit. I have a Iphone 4 32G. I have created playlists but still no joy. :aargh4:

Thanks in advance.